• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: Leaky trans lines ( did a search)

MOSSGREENMACHINE

NAXJA Forum User
I really need to replace my trans lines, as of last night they both are leaking pretty bad and causing a mess on the underside. I looked online for new lines but i can't find any. Where can i get a set? how much do they generally cost? and do i need any special tools to do it. Oh yeah i drive a 96 xj auto se.
your input will be greatly appreciated.

A couple things...

First - the "rubber" lines can be readily replaced using 3/8" power steering hose and small clamps - just cut the crimps off of the OEM hardlines, and replace. The 3/8" hose also fits over the OEM QD male fitting on the radiator, just clamp it there as well. If you need to actually cut any lines, don't use anything but an actual tubing cutter - a hacksaw cut will not work (don't ask how I know...)

Second, make sure your leak isn't actually in the QD fitting itself - it's been known to happen. That's an easy fix - you just get the "renew" kit from the dealer, follow the instructions, and call it good five minutes later.

5-90

I just replaced my rubber trans lines. The metal lines were fine, just 10 year old failing rubber ends. I used 3/8" power steering hose with fuel injection clamps. I doubled clamped each end . So far no leaks and beats replacing the whole metal lines.
Good Luck.

I had to replace mine on my '96 XJ because of a leak at the quick disconnect at the tranny end. Both lines cost me about $110 from the dealer. Getting them out is a bear. You need a special tool. It's called a 3/8 inch fuel line quick disconnect tool. It's a bitch to use on the fittings with the plastic locking clip. The new lines have stainless locking clips and are a little easier to use. If you just replace the quick disconnects, you'll probably get the stainless clips. The dealer's service guy said the change to stainless clips was the result of a redesign.
The quick disconnect at the bottom of the radiator is hard to get to. You need to pull the electric fan and the airbox.

Back