• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Q, will YJ coils fit an XJ?

TJ coils fit, but they are shorter. I have read stock XJ coils give a TJ 2-3". Therefore TJ 6" coils would probably give an XJ 3-4" lift. IIRC the spring rates are pretty different too, I think TJ coils are softer.

RickyN29 said:
I found a deal on some 6" YJ coils (Procomp Coil Conversion), I cannot seem to recall if they fit an XJ.
Do they?

Thanks

I think the ProComp coil conversion uses coil overs doesnt it? I doubt they will fit.

K, thanks for the replies, sounds like it probably will not work, so I am not going to bother. The reason I asked was I have 3" coils with 2" spacers up front. I figured I could eliminate the spacers. The Procomp YJ coils were only 30 bucks!

Those do look about the same, just upside down.

I still don't think they will give you the lift you need though. Since they mount on the bottom of the frame on the YJ, I doubt they would be long enough. The ones pictured look closer to a stock XJ spring to me.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
TJ coils fit, but they are shorter. I have read stock XJ coils give a TJ 2-3". Therefore TJ 6" coils would probably give an XJ 3-4" lift. IIRC the spring rates are pretty different too, I think TJ coils are softer.

It must be on the 4cyl TJ because I put my XJ coils in my 6 cyl TJ and got about 1/2" lift from them. Not that it matters to this topic but that was my experience.

TomH said:
It must be on the 4cyl TJ because I put my XJ coils in my 6 cyl TJ and got about 1/2" lift from them. Not that it matters to this topic but that was my experience.

Good to know. I read the 2-3" on the internet (so it must be true...lol), may have been a 4cyl though???

Are the XJ springs stiffer than the TJs?

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Good to know. I read the 2-3" on the internet (so it must be true...lol), may have been a 4cyl though???

Are the XJ springs stiffer than the TJs?

Stock 4.0 XJ coils are slightly stiffer than 4.0 TJ coils. They are just enough to perfectly offset the weight of a winch. I dont know how much lift they would give without the winch but I would guess that .5" is probably close. Certainly not 2-3".

TomH said:
I can't tell any difference in the ride on the TJ.

To be honest, Ive never riden in a TJ with XJ springs. I've only compared them side by side off the vehicle. We put them on a friends TJ to off set his winch. He said they rode good with the winch on so I figured they were just slightly stiffer.

Back