• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V6 2.8 5speed 4x4 XJ Opinions?

mike71800b

NAXJA Forum User
I'd seen a 84 Chief 2.8 5speed,4x4 recently for sale. No lift, maybe 235/75's from appearance.
I've searched the forum and found several threads discussing the v6 both pro and con.
From what I have gathered on the forum is that the 2.8 powered 5 speed tranny may either be an aisin or peugot unit.
Is this correct?
I've e-mailed for pics of the trans and know how to spot its bolt together case halves.
Was one trans used moreso than the other?
Will the peugot last if you aren't dumping the clutch and flooring the truck through wheel hop and other stressfull crap like that?
I've had a 2.8 in a blazer before that was a little underpowered but ok, will a good running 2.8 XJ be able cruize at 75 - 80 on flat interstate?
Would being a Chief with afactory tow hitch make it more likely to have a 4.10 over a 3.73?
Was anything less than a 3.73 axle ratio used in this combo?

I don't want to play build a truck and engine trans swap etc... just determine if this is a viable and reliable truck. I have been looking at some 99's (XJ) in the 5k range but ran across this 84 thats super clean inside and out.
Before I get flamed I searched quite a bit,2 hours worth, and its time to go to sleep.

Thanks for replys.

The 2.8 is a crap motor, save your money and headache and buy a 4.0 with an ax-15 or aw-4. I have had both, and the 2.8 is not worth any money you would save on initial purchase price. Where abouts are you located?

Back