• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ 2.1 Diesel Question

Mac5005

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know what transmission came behind the 2.1L Renault Turbo diesel engine in an 87 cherokee, especially if it has the "jeep" bellhousing pattern or not? Any info on this motor is good info.

Mac5005 said:
Does anybody know what transmission came behind the 2.1L Renault Turbo diesel engine in an 87 cherokee, especially if it has the "jeep" bellhousing pattern or not? Any info on this motor is good info.

I believe it used the Peugeot BA10/5. Note that I say this with a grain of salt...

if its an automatic it should be the chrysler 904 automatic, if its standard 5spd should be the ax-5, 4spd is ax-4.

it *may* be the AW-4 if its an auto.

MoparRobbie said:
if its an automatic it should be the chrysler 904 automatic, if its standard 5spd should be the ax-5, 4spd is ax-4.

it *may* be the AW-4 if its an auto.

Did either AMC or Chrysler ever put an autobox behind the Renault diesel? If so, that would probably redefine slow...

any North American diesel XJ/MJ was made 1984-mid 1987, so most likely if it had an autobox, she'd be a 904 3spd. I can run faster than those.

Mine came with an Aisin AX5. The input shaft is longer for the diesel application. I believe that the rest of the transmission is common. I believe the turbo diesel with an automatic would be a good combination. The reason is that the automatic keeps the turbo spooled up as you never let your foot off the gas to shift. I believe that is why the Grand National did not have a standard transmission as an option.

was never put an auto tranny behind renault, some having 904 after 89 all with AX5, newer model with the 2.5td VM AX15

correct, I've here some 2.1td and some 4.0 the bell housing is completely different.
There are three version of bell housing AMC, Renault and VM all are different.
The 2.1 bell housing is prone to broke on the starting motor support, I've reinforced it on my one
The bell housing of 2.5TD VM having the same bolt pattern of the 3.1TDi VM used on grand.....
Also the driveshafts are different (shorter in front longer in back) the combination 2.1+AX5+231 is shorter than 4.0+AW4+242

Last edited:
Has anyone put an AX15 behind the Renault 2.1L? It is a little heavier duty unit that would be a nice upgrade?

Also, I copied an ad for an 86 Cherokee 2.1 with an automatic. I think the automatic has always been an option.

Back