• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-Ring Shackle Mount

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a rear bumper and right now I'm designing the shackle mounts. I plan on having one side of the 2"x3"x1/4" tubing I'm using to space the bumper from the mount plates, go all the way through the 2"x5" bumper and stick out 2". I'll then weld 1/4" plates to both sides to make the mount 3/4" thick.

Does this sound adequate in regards to thickness and the amount of protrusion from the face of the bumper? Also, what diameter of hole do I need to drill through the mount tabs? If I knew what the 3/4 in 3/4 shackle was, then maybe I would know better what I need.

Israel said:
the 2"x3"x1/4" tubing I'm using to space the bumper from the mount plates,
Are you refering to the 2 factory 4 bolt mounting areas?

mounts vary from 1/2" to 1" thick. Leave at least 1/2" around the 7/8" diameter hole. To neglect to use the factory hitch mounting would defeat the purpose of over-engineering it.

Thanks Kirby! Do you think a 3/4" shackle would be suffecient?

RCP Phx said:
Are you refering to the 2 factory 4 bolt mounting areas?

Yes. I've got 1/4" plate that will use those 4 bolt holes on each side, then I have 2"x3" tube to space the bumper out 2.5" from the plates.

kubtastic said:
mounts vary from 1/2" to 1" thick. Leave at least 1/2" around the 7/8" diameter hole. To neglect to use the factory hitch mounting would defeat the purpose of over-engineering it.

I already planned on using a 15" long 2" wide flat bar to take advantage of the hitch mount holes and maybe even drilling 8 more right and left of the mount plates. I'll have to take pictures as I do this so I can show you what I mean.

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate the help everyone!!!

Last edited:
Thats where I was headed,the stock mounting isnt enough.
rear%20bump2.jpg

kirby said:
The hole is 7/8" for a 3/4" shackle.
the pin is rough 7/8'', when i made a tow point i punched a 7/8'' hole and none of my pins fit, if i did it again id make it 1/16 or so larger

yes the 3/4'' is the ring diameter, the pin i think is 1/8th more to compinsate for the shape of the pin not being as strong

Back