• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found Chryco 8.25" for $200 - is it worth it for use with 32's?

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered my 3.5" RE superflex and getting 32" BFG M/Ts soon. I have the stock d30/d35 in my '88 XJ, and I am told by some that I should be ok wheeling it as long as I don't beat on it too hard. Mostly mild woodsy trails and mud, no serious rock crawling. I found a 8.25" out of a 2000 for $200. Should I be ok with the D35 or should I really consider the 8.25"? Also how can I tell if it's a 27 or 29 spline. The guy at the junkyard doesn't know if it was out of an XJ w/ ABS or not.
Thanks

If it is from a 00 then it is a 29 spline, and it did not have ABS. The problem is I think 00s are low pinon, but I'm not 100% sure.

is that the only difference in 27 or 29 spline is abs or not? i do also think 00-01 had low pinion, but I just called a local shop that does regearing and he said he just recently pulled an 8.25 out of an xj, so maybe there is an option

BRIANHO13 said:
8.25 IS ALWAYS A LP

Yes, The difference is in the D30 in front. A LP axle is stronger in the rear, HP is stronger in front.

2000 8.25 Will be 29 spline no ABS.

It does depend on how hard you are on it for the 35 to last. Personally I'd rather have the reassurance my axle won't break.

You could probably find one for less than $200 though. IIRC mine was ~$150 from the local junkyard, and I feel I over paid after seeing them for less.

And never in an ABS equipped XJ, I think. 27 to 29 spline change happened around 96.

$200 is not a bad price, but its not a great one either. I bought a 29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears and a no-slip for $300. I picked up a stock dana 44 from an XJ for $125. If good rear ends are rare where you are, I'd probably get it at that price - if they are plentiful as they are here in SoCal, I'd pass and find a better deal.

cal said:
$200 is not a bad price, but its not a great one either. I bought a 29 spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears and a no-slip for $300. I picked up a stock dana 44 from an XJ for $125. If good rear ends are rare where you are, I'd probably get it at that price - if they are plentiful as they are here in SoCal, I'd pass and find a better deal.
Damn you... everything good is hard to find here on the other coast(unless you find someone who doesn't really know what he has).

It's just a population density thing, I think. Save up $900,000 to buy a small house and move out here where the parts are. ;)

If the gear ratio matches your front, then I think that's a pretty decent deal. If you're going to regear, then you might want to consider the total cost and/or trouble of something else. E.g., you plan to go to 4.10s and maybe you can pick up an 8.8 for 400 bucks that's only a little more.

Axle breakage sucks on the trail, not a good place to fix these problems, get as strong an axle as your budget can afford. The 29 spline 8.25 is a strong axle and should handle 32's fine as long as you use common sense with the skinny pedal.

Indeed. I ran one with 4.56's and a no-slip and a little more throttle than was good for me, with a set of 760 spicer shafts up front and welded cap's - never had a problem. Eventually went 44/alloys after going to 35's, but for 32's it was more than sufficiant.

well, I believe I have 3.55's in the front/rear currently as I am a 4.0L auto, so if I can find a 8.25" with 3.55's, that would probably be ideal. of course, I should've ordered the lift today w/ u-bolts for the 8.25", but I'm sure they aren't too expensive. I would like to regear, but being that I'm currently getting 12.5 mpg, I need to conserve on gas more than worry about power

Regearing will conserve on gas. The 4.0L wants to be running in the range of 2500 to 2900 rpm's on the highway. If your running lower than that, its working too hard and sucking up more gas.

an xj with 4.10's and 31's will get FAR better gas mileage than 3.55's and 31's, around town and on the highway. It will also last longer, as it doesnt work as hard to do the same task.

I get 19 mpg with 35's and 4.88's, if I keep my foot out of the throttle.

Ive never had a d35, but it looks like the diff sits a little higher than the 8.25. I would always drag the @$$ of my 8.25 in ruts with 33's.
Why are there so many people running 32's instead of 33's? I never had any problems with my rearend running 33's. 2 of my buddys wheel tjs on 35s with stock axles. 33's are when you step up and say "OK LETS GO WHEELIN'".

If your getting 12.5 mpg, somethings wrong. What year and tire size? how many miles/ Change your O2 sensor lately?

-C

it is an '88 with 165k. tune up done 6 months ago w/ little if any difference in MPG. tires are slightly larger than stock (I think they are like 28"). I can't remember if the o2 sensor was changed at time of tune up, but should definitely look into it. I know the motor is starting to have signs of blowby too(a little oil in the air filter).

One of the more common causes of bad mileage is a failing o2 sensor. A vacume leak is on the list too, it wouldnt hurt to check.

My 87 was getting ~24 mpg before I lifted it 3 years ago. 12.5 is far under acceptable. ;)

-C

Back