• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior hatch latch?

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done this? I'd like to be able to open the hatch from inside, for recovery purposes, rather than slopping around in whatever I'm stuck in.

thanks

all you have to do is pull the cover off and you can open the hatch from the inside
i have done this and just left the cover off looks kinda ugly but it works..i dont have a cam other wise id get a pic of it ..by cover i mean the panael that covers the botom half of the hatch...

i wonder if someone could rig up a interior door handle to actuate the release same as the interior door since it can be released without the cover on. now im courious

stewie said:
i wonder if someone could rig up a interior door handle to actuate the release same as the interior door since it can be released without the cover on. now im courious

I'm sure it could be done, probably without too much work.

Get to it!:thumbup:

stewie said:

Not quite the same as a door latch, but I cut a 2 x 3 inch hole over the inside access hole when my key lock was broken.

Slip a finger in and pull the latch lever to unlock from the inside.

And to LOCK / UNLOCK the hatch from the inside, just slide the white plastic piece one way or the other.

I have found that it is easier to LOCK the HATCH when it is OPEN and UP by
Sliding the inside catch BEFORE I close the hatch instead of;
taking things out,
setting them on the ground,
searching for my keys,
locking the Jeep,
putting the keys away,
shutting the hatch and
picking my stuff back up.

I drilled a hole in the cover panel big enough for the cable from the trunk of a Chysler Sebring. Now, I have a cool, glow-in-the-dark tag thing hanging on the panel. To attach it to the latch, I drilled a hole in the part of the latch with the white plastic piece on it, then ran the cable through it, and crimped it back to itself with a cable crimp from the local hardware store. Oh, and IF your XJ is so tall that it is hard to reach up to grab the hatch to close it, go to the local J-yard, and get the hanging handle off the rear hatch of something like a Ford Aerostar mini-van. They are easy to attach, come in many colors, and when the hatch is open, they hang down about 8 inches.

I am about tot do some thing similar, my latch keeps getting disconected from the handle. You just need a small nut and a bike brake cable. Add a full car door handle or a strap to the cable and voila. Just run your cable going up to start.

ren said:
I drilled a hole in the cover panel big enough for the cable from the trunk of a Chysler Sebring. Now, I have a cool, glow-in-the-dark tag thing hanging on the panel. To attach it to the latch, I drilled a hole in the part of the latch with the white plastic piece on it, then ran the cable through it, and crimped it back to itself with a cable crimp from the local hardware store. Oh, and IF your XJ is so tall that it is hard to reach up to grab the hatch to close it, go to the local J-yard, and get the hanging handle off the rear hatch of something like a Ford Aerostar mini-van. They are easy to attach, come in many colors, and when the hatch is open, they hang down about 8 inches.
I was just going to post that I had a picture of this same mod you mentioned with the release handle added to the inside of the rear hatch but now I can't find the pic I had saved (probably the one in your Jeep).
Can you post a few pics of it again??? :D

If it's a 97 and up it's mad easy, as when the cover is off you can see the cable that goes from the handle down to the mechanism. I'm (luckily) not as familiar with the inner workings of the 96 and older hatches, but I'm sure it's not hard.

I sleep in the back of my XJ on the trail from time to time. It would be nice to add an internal latch. I hope to work out an OEM looking mod in the next couple of weeks.

Back