• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Threaded Engine Oil Drain Plug

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

A few months back I noticed some oil stains on my driveway and figured that the rear main seal in my 93' 4.0 had finally given way. Well, upon closer inspection, it seems that the oil drip is coming from the drain plug/plug hole located in the oil pan.

I think it happened a couple of oil changes ago, when I mistakenly took it to a Pep-Boys auto service (now THERE'S an oxymoron) for an oil change.

Anyway, so just this weekend when I was getting my trans oil flushed, my regular mechanic said that the rubber drain plugs usually end up leaking just as bad, and that the metal that the oil pan is made from, is just too thin to re-thread the hole.

So apparently, if I want to fix this leak, my only option is to get a new oil pan and matching drain plug - is this true ? Or would I be better getting a slightly larger drain plug, and screwing it in ? Or are the rubber plugs any good ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Go to your local auto parts store and ask for an oversize drain plug. There are several sizes so you'll need to know what you have currently. Anyhow these slightly oversize plugs are designed as a self-tapping repair plug for just what you are talking about. You carefully thread it into you hole squarely and cut new threads as you tighten it, then remove it, flush a little solvent or something through to wash out any metal chips and your good. I used one on my 360 V8 with good success. I ran a factory style copper washer rather than the fiber washer the new plug came with though. Good luck!

Scott

Back