• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough rider

scrappa

NAXJA Forum User
hey whats goin on. just installed a rustys 2inch budget boost on my 97 cherokee(kit with the coils and full add a leaf and 4 new shocks) and has a very rough ride. i am new to jeeps and was wondering is this normal? it is very stiff in the back when u push on the bumper, not even a little give. the add a leaf was put on correctly in the stock leaf packs that were on the truck that had minor sag. is there any way to get a softer ride? would i need better shocks or springs? or should i just wait to see if it settles. any advice would help. thanks again

From what I hear thats pretty normal for a budget boost,especially with add a leafs. Save up for a complete suspension lift kit with new leafs, and possible control arms,your ride will improve

scrappa said:
hey whats goin on. just installed a rustys 2inch budget boost on my 97 cherokee(kit with the coils and full add a leaf and 4 new shocks) and has a very rough ride. i am new to jeeps and was wondering is this normal? it is very stiff in the back when u push on the bumper, not even a little give. the add a leaf was put on correctly in the stock leaf packs that were on the truck that had minor sag. is there any way to get a softer ride? would i need better shocks or springs? or should i just wait to see if it settles. any advice would help. thanks again

Sorry but there isnt much you can do. Take it out and flex the back end in some ditches and it will help break in the AAL. Its just going to ride rough now due to the added leaf back there.

Make sure that when you reassembled the leaf springs to the rear shackles you did not overtighten them, It is possible to restrict suspension movement this way. I am not sure what the tourque specs are but I do know that it is not as tight as you would think.
Hope this helps

thanks for the info guys. i guess ill have to just wait it out. if it doesnt get better do u think i can get full leaf packs from OME and will ride better? i didnt realize the rear would ride so rough?

not to hijack this thread, but does the front ride ok? I'm thinking about getting Rusty's 2 inch front coils.

ya the front rides awesome just the back im dissapointed with. ill try to break it in, then maybe remove sway bar, and worst comes to worst-shelling out money for the OME'S.

Back