• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 to 88XJ....how hard?

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
my 93 XJ is rusting away around me, time for a new shell. Found a deal on a running ,rust free 88 2wd straight 6 AW4 XJ.

How hard is it to swap my drivetrain into a 88 2wd XJ shell? Everything should be bolt up right? I want to gut the 88 to a shell only and transfer all my mechanicals/electronics from my 93 into the 88 shell. What do ya'll think? Anyone done this?

I think that would be a lot of work when there are easier options.

If I were you I'd sell your rusty 93 and buy the 88.

Then buy a t case and front drive axle out of a junkyard Jeep to make the 88 a four wheel drive. Just make sure you get the driveshafts too.

If I went that route I'd just use stuff of my 93 to put on the 88. Problem, of sorts, is my 93 only has 80K (and I just put a new AW4 in it)original miles on it and the 88 is 180K.

I just finished a complete body swap. That included the full interior and wiring. It is a big job, but not particularly hard. Set them side by side and start. I stripped one, put the parts in the garage for 6 months then started on the build. That makes it considerably harder.

run into anything that stumped you? or stuff that you thought would be easy but was difficult/time consuming? sounds like I am planning on doing what you did, tottal body swap.

I almost did exactly that. I would tell you to use as much of the 88 as possible. Its not hard to pull everything from one and put it into the other, BUT it takes a TON of time. Also, all things that are manufactured today go together easy but are VERY hard to come out. You will end up replacing some VERY silly items that all add up in cost.

If you decide to do the swap, get creative and do some extra stuff while you are there. Like strip the 88 clean and fix any rust. Sand, prime and paint the inside and underside. I would actually look at bedlining the underside and inside. I would do the same for the engine bay. I would also sleeve the frame with some metal as well and maybe do some crossbracing. If you are going to take the time, do it right so that you will never have to do it again.

In the grand scheme of things, it will work just as good with or without, but it will last a LOT longer.

Lastly, if you have the room, put the jeeps next to each other with about two car widths between them. lay out all the parts on the floor in the same orientation as they came out. Then after both jeeps are on the floor, take the new and put it on. Its like having a instruction manual that way.

Last edited:
thats about what I plan on doing....gut one, clean/prep bedline it, then dissasemble/reassemble side by side until I have one complete jeep again.

I would be, but the person sold it after I said I was coming to get it....got there, no more XJ. so, I'm still looking. Would like to find a high milage 93 so I can just swap my good motor/tranny over and be done with it. Whole lot easier that way.

Back