• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Info on 3" lifts SYEs and related.

pma4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching the forums and have found some info but nothing concrete, so I thought I would just ask here.

Specs.

96 XJ
NP231 (with rubber boot on slip yoke, have heard the boot makes a differenct for some reason).
AW4 (about a week old on fresh rebuild)
D30 front
Chyrco 8.25 rear.
3.55's
factory springs WAY shot and sagging.

Parts going in
Rustys 3" lift with new springs and shocks
TC drop kit if needed or recommended
Kevins off-road tracbar conversion
OME steering stablizer.
Rear brake line
any recommedation on LCAs if any for 3"?
Trimming fenders
32x11.50s

Would you recommend shims on rear axle for 3" lift?

Ok, I have a Rustys 3" kit on the way cause my facoty springs are shot to hell and the Pass Rear spring is in a negative arch bad. I know that its a crap shoot of wether or not i will have DS vibrations or not. But if it does happen I want to fix it.

I have been reading on NAXJA about the RE hack & tap kit. Does anyone have the exact part number i would need. Alot of people have been using a Front driveshaft out of a automatic XJ, are there any specifics on that either.

I had two guys from two different shops in the Phoenix valley tell me that the 231 TC with the boot on it will more then likely give me vibrations.

I am not new to wheelin' just new to XJs and Slip yokes. I had a CJ7 that was built the TC was a D300 and BDS lift etc, etc. This Driveline is just kinda new to me.

I dont intend to do much Hardcore stuff, this is being built more for safari.

Thanks

Last edited:
you can get away with just a tcase drop for a while i have been running one with my rustys 3 inch for about 6 months fine. you dont really need new lcas with a 3 inch but if you want to get some i would probably go with rubicon express adjustables. you might have vibrations due to the newer style tcase but i think a t case drop will take care if them. if you can afford it then just put in a sye and new drive shaft

I was thinking of the Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft kit. But i am trying to find info on the Hack & tao Re kit with a front Xj auto driveshaft. looking for numbers/years or any info on that swap.

But your pretty sure with the 3" rustys with NO T-case drop i may get vibration?

Also do you have a pic of your rig and specs?

I also have a 96 with the same drivetrain as yours. I installed Rustys 3" full kit as well. I had bad vibes after the install. Every rig is different and you might not be too bad off but I'd bet you'll have decent vibes. You can probably get by with the tc drop but if I were to do it all over again...I'd do it right the first time. I eventually installed the RE hack and tap SYE and I also used an RE CV driveshaft. The difference was night and day. I do have some 4 degree shims on my axle now.

I can't be of any help with regard to the front DS deal...sorry.

Here's a pic of mine:

3zqap0h.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking for one through the archives b/c I just got a new PC and all the old pics I had got erased when the old one crapped the bed. I'm still looking.

This one's not so good but...

4hnc212.jpg

This is 3" lift with 2 sets of .75" spacers up front. The coils sagged big time. The rear leafs settled in nicely. 31x10.50 BFG AT's.

Last edited:
You;re also looking for the search button I bet.

Yeah even rustys themselves admitted to some bad srpings a few years ago. They said they have been better designed for a while now plus when i ordered them i got the extra 30lb spring rates front and rear for trail gear, winches the usual.

What about tossing in some small degree shims when i do the springs i figure this is a good i dea either way.

I just installed the rustys lift on my buddies jeep (97 AW4) It turned out great, with only very minor vibes. You can barely even notice them, im sure 3 degree shims would make it totally normal
-Patrick:moon:

Yeah...when I ordered, Rusty was up front with me about teh springs as well but the issues were always with the rear leafs. I never heard anything about the coils.

platinum5.9 said:
Little off topic but how do you guys like the Rustys 3"? Did you go AAL or full packs?

I went full leafs. It's been fine for my needs. I have been on what I would call a hard trail twice since I bought my Jeep about 3 years ago. I really enjoy taking evening rides in the summer on the tons of forest service roads we have here in town and looking for wildlife. My g/f and I both work in schools and we wanted to be able to take the road less traveled when we head out for the summer explorations/camping.

Yeah see its a crap shoot no matter which XJ or what lift. so I will have to see what i can find on that RE hack n tap kit

Here at REs website i got the split year. Trying not to sound like a n00b is it kit # RE1807 i need?

and with this i use a front Xj shaft???

Got the 3" Rusty's with full pack, added 3* shims to rear, but had pretty bad vibes _ added 1" t/c drop vibes dissappeared. Mine is a '96 4.0, AW4, 242 with BFG AT KO 31x10.5x15. Later added JKS disconnects and JKS Adj. trac bar and RE super flex upper and lower control arms, flexes much better now. As for opinion of Rusty's kit -I think it is OK for the cost, my problem has been with support, I have one coil that has settled more than the other and a leaf spring with a broken bushing - I've talked to Rusty twice about it and both times he said he would send me replacement parts - still waiting on parts to arrive (has been about 7 weeks now), I hate that he has done me this way because there are other Rusty's parts I would like to have but I find it hard to spend more of my money with someone that doesn't give reliable support. If I were doing it all over again I would go with RE kit and JKS parts. Here is a pic of my XJ to give you an idea of the lift.

62955067.jpg

Hope this helps some,

Mike

Well, here is the before and after. I didnt get the lift in for a couple of months then we bought a house. so i am finally getting to posting the after pics some of you wanted.

Before
xj1.jpg

After
XJafter.jpg

bizkit642 said:
Looks good! 3 inch lift and 31's?

-Andrew

3" but i think Rustys are 3 plus. Front fenders trimmed and rears are next.
JKS discos, KOR JKS trac bar conversion.

31 BFG ATs this was a temporary lift and meats til i can get a better setup. the original suspension and tires were GONE!!!

i have a 98 rustys 3 inch full pack. tcase drop not a vibe at all. i love it.

Back