• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of power on start off in Drive

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I finally fixed my speedo cable problem and have the new dash in. The problem now is when i'm at idle and go to take off in Drive I can put the pedal to the floor and it barely goes... I have to put it in 1st in order for it to get up to speed and then shift it to 3rd or Drive. Why would this be? It worked fine before. The only thing i've done is replace the speedo cable, plug back in the gauge cluster... I did move the 4wd lever a bit while parked with the e-brake on because I had to get the center console out. What would cause this loss of power in Drive? Your advice would be great.

I agree that checking for power to the TCU is the first thing to look at. If this is an earlier Jeep, the fuse is in the wiring harness up near the TCU which is under the passenger side of the dash.

I've heard on the earlier jeeps (if it is one) the inline fuse will be a 7.5amp fuse sometimes instead of 10amp. I had the fuse go out on me once and I had the exact same problem - i turned into a semi-automatic tranny. I'd have 4th gear only in drive, 3rd gear only in 3rd, and 1st only in 1-2. Would give me up to 2000 rpm or so in Drive and not be able to make it up even the slope of my driveway.

So the fuse is on the passenger side? I'll have to look... there are about 5 wires that aren't plugged in over there.. my g/f and I were unplugging things to put the new dash in... but can't find where those go. But i'll check it out. Hopefully that is the problem because having to shift from 1st then to 3rd or Drive after getting up to 5-10mph is kind of a nuisance and dont think it will be too much fun for off-roading... specially in an auto. Thanks again guys.

I look yesterday on the passenger side and didn't see any fuses.. I could be blind? Is it hidden or what? I didn't look at the under hood fuse box.. totally forgot about that. I'll look under the hood today. And TCU = ? Transfer Case Unit? Or am I wrong there as well... I need to get this fixed.. sucks having to shift down to first then back to Drive in an automatic... (n)

You need to hook up those wires on the passenger side. More than likely you have disconnected the tcu in the process of the dash swap. It should be easy since they will only connect to what is designated for them. Also check the fuse which is located just under the dash close to the tcu...if it's and earlier jeep.

TCU... Is that transfer case unit or no? I'm still new to these terms and can't find where the list is of abbreviations.. and what does it look like? Thanks... and some of the plug ins.. dont seem to have a match? Lots of females but no males to mate with them...ill try to get some pics

tcu means trasmission control unit. It's the silver box under the dash on the passenger side. There should be one wiring harness that connects to it with an inline 10 amp fuse just behind the connection. I can't remember if there is a ground wire on this or not, I don't think there is but check to make sure.

Ok thanks... I figured it was something along those lines... i'll check it out after work. I'm hoping that's it... because I want to drive normal again. Thanks again :shocked: I'd be lost without this help and I dont want to shell out $$ for a shop to fix something I can.. or will at least attempt!

The Transmission Control Unit looks like this. On pre 1996 (?) you have to unplug it to get the lower portion of the dash off. I think later years moved it to the drivers side.

Ok, so I checked the TCU fuse. Looks to be fine. Took it into Firestone for a professional opinion. Told him how it happened. He thinks that it is a linkage problem. He got down there the bolt was loose... I go home and tighten... still no power in 3rd or Drive from idle. So i'm guessing that somethin is still unplugged or jacked up in the wiring still... so looks like i'll be ripping apart the dash again this Sat... any other suggestions? Thanks!​

Ok... so I figured out the problem and I'm only slightly retarded... So in the process of swapping interiors... while working on putting the new dash in, I took the underskirt of the dash and set it along side the house so I had room to work with... turns out my dad threw it away thinking it was trash... crap.. .get the new dash in and underskirt. Not everything is plugged back in... I think, hmm... wonder if that underskirt had anything on it I needed. So I drive around and thats where the problem started... drive didn't work at idle... had to shift from 1st... so I'm at the junk yard on Sat. and look under the underskirt of the dash... what do ya know... part of the metal transfercase box that has come wires plugged in.. that look exactly like the harness of mine that isn't plugged in... hmm...take that go home and put it in. Problem solved... I'd like to take this moment and blame my dad for that headache caused. I also scored a set of power seats, back seat and underskirt for $68... compared to the other junk yard (not pick n' pull) that wanted to charge me $65 a seat...

Back