• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R`mparing front drivdshats

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
comparing front driveshafts

Ok, I decided to get a used front driveshaft because I tore mine up the other day and I was thinking, the 2000+ xj's came with a low pinion d30, so the driveshaft would be slightly longer. I'm running 6" of lift and have a 99, so a high pinion 30, so would the low pinion 30 have a long enough driveshaft to compensate for my lift in the front? Do you all think its a good idea or not? Or should I get the stock 99 high pinion 30 shaft? I was hoping for only about an inch longer driveshaft or so, but I'm not willing to pay a ton of money for a custom. Any ideas?

Re: comparing front driveshafts

im at 5" lift and the stock d/s is fine.
think of it this way...the driveshaft follows roughly the same radius as the control arms (short arms), from stock to a 6" lift your control arms will only need to be slightly more than an inch longer. (this taken from a table on ILOVEJEEPS.COM)

hope this helps. im not sayin its the absolute truth, either.

-Tim

yeah, that's what I was getting at....I need only about an inch longer and I was wondering if the Low pinion D30 front driveshaft out of a 2000+ XJ would give me that. I've never been able to compare the shafts, so I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it was longer. In theory, it would be, but does anyone know for sure?

53guy said:
yeah, that's what I was getting at....I need only about an inch longer and I was wondering if the Low pinion D30 front driveshaft out of a 2000+ XJ would give me that. I've never been able to compare the shafts, so I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it was longer. In theory, it would be, but does anyone know for sure?

I think I still have my front shaft laying on the floor from my 2000 LP axle. If I remmeber tonight I'll measure for you :)

The 2000 LP driveshaft is the same length.

RCP Phx said:
The 2000 LP driveshaft is the same length.

X2- There is a minimal length difference and no need for a different DS from the factory. All auto front shafts are the same length. I've had several and measured them. I have a LP and got a DS off a HP. With my 4.5" of lift the front DS is extended at the most 3/8" from stock. Still plenty of spline left.

Back