• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hooks

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some Tow Hooks, and I am wondering where would be the best place to mount them. I know directly to the unibody, but where on the unibody. Is there a mounting bracket that i should be looking for, or can they be mounted directly to the unibody?
Any help would be appreciated. I need them as I see a lot of "situation" i am gonna need to be pulled out of, until i get my lift and tires.

ThankS

PBen:spin1:

Last edited:
XJ's don't have frames, they are unibodies. you need brackets that tie into the unibody at multiple points. several companies make these brackets. try a search and you will find different people suggest certain brands for their strength. good luck

Try the local wrecking yards, as the tow hooks and brackets were an option, along with skid plates for the steering, X-case, and the gas tank.

Instructions for installing tow hook brackets - Tow Hook instructions

standard.jpg

I guess this kinda clarifies my questions... the tow hook bracket IS necessary for tow hooks to be used, and used properly? I got the tow hooks from a junk yard XJ... the front skid is in the way so I couldn't get to the tow hook bracket... I unbolted the bottom bolts on the skid... where else does it bolt down? And is it just bolts or is there some welded spots too? I'd like to get these junk yard brackets instead of paying $80+ for new brackets... so please clarify for me that the brackets are completely necesarry for em to work... and how to take the rest of the skid off... thanks in advance.

im not sure about the skids but i can tell you that the brackets are a must. and if you think about it ,80 bucks for brand new aftermarket(strong) hooks and brackets is worth it. you never know how junkyard ones were used and or abused.

I cleaned up the tow hooks... look pretty much brand new. They don't look used at all...The rig I took them from I doubt really used them. I would rather take the bracket from the rig than to spend $80 on something that could go towards another upgrade...I have a hitch in the back with 2 recovery spots so I'm not as concerned with having the 2 up front, just nice to have. So I don't want to spend extra money I don't need to...Just gotta figure out what else I gotta do to that skid plate to get to the tow hook brackets. Thanks though. I figured they were needed... that's why I haven't put the hooks on yet... Got 3 bloody knuckles getting them off in the first place.

pablo,

is this the brackets on the bumper you just bought from me?

the side brackets are the only part you have and the only mount they use other than the 3 factory bolt holes is the farthest back one. There is already a hole there, you just need a bolt and nut to run through it.

There is an angled bracket that goes in the front across the cross member part of the front of the "frame" on each side and the bracket in #15 in the pic above that you also need. You can unbolt those side brackets I gave you and attach them to your bumper if you're not wanting to use the grey one.

Bdiddy11 said:
I cleaned up the tow hooks... look pretty much brand new. They don't look used at all...The rig I took them from I doubt really used them. I would rather take the bracket from the rig than to spend $80 on something that could go towards another upgrade...I have a hitch in the back with 2 recovery spots so I'm not as concerned with having the 2 up front, just nice to have. So I don't want to spend extra money I don't need to...Just gotta figure out what else I gotta do to that skid plate to get to the tow hook brackets. Thanks though. I figured they were needed... that's why I haven't put the hooks on yet... Got 3 bloody knuckles getting them off in the first place.

There are 3 bolts that hold the front skid plate to the body. Like you said I assume you have taken off the 3 bolts on the passenger side and 1 bolt on the drivers side under the jeep on the tabs of the skid plate. There are 3 more bolts, I think they use a 10mm wrench that mount towards the top of the plate under the radiator of the jeep. These are kind of a pain to get off but they will come off. Good luck and nice score on the tow hook brackets.

I figured there were more bolts... but didn't really have time that day to work more on the skid plate (was moving into my new apartment) so I just snagged the tow hooks and some door panels... i'll have to go back for the brackets. I'll most likely bloody my knuckles some more trying to get the skid off and the tow hook brackets... it'll be worth the trouble though cuz it'll cost a lot less :yelclap:

I was wondering the same about the front skid... seems like a pain to have there if you wanted to work beneath you rig on something..

Back