• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sorry but i have to ask

tgile512

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am been going crazy searching for what size tires to buy and i can't find anything (i have a 99 xj with a rustys 4.5 lift) i can't decide between 31" trxus (which are true to size) or 32" bfg mud terrains. I have heard that the 32's may require some trimming and i really don't want to do that but i am afraid that if i order the 31's they will look stupid or out of place for they are smaller. if anyone could help that would be great.

get the 32's and longer bumpstops if you need to. a 4.5 in lift is supposed to allow for 32 in tires and no triming, and triming the fenders is not as big of a deal as you may think it is. im runing 32's and a 3.5 in lift with my fenders trimed and it looks awsome.

I have an RE 4.5 and 32's, I haven't trimmed yet, the only thing I had trimmed was a little bit off the edge of the bumper caps (I too have a '99). If you bump stop a little bit more, you won't have any troubles. With my sway bar disconnected one time a couple months after I got the lift on I flexed to much that I ate up my fender.

Here is what it look like last summer after I got it on, back when it looked nice, you can see where the bumper caps are trimmed.
P1010037.jpg

I have a rusty's 4.5 with the 2 in. budget boost and run 32 bfg muds with no problems. I did not rub until I went to moab for the first time. After running some trails, I opted to trim a little off the front of my front fender. It just rubbed a little at full articulation and while turning. The rear tires don't rub at all. That combination works very well for me and I almost wish I would have went with 33" tires instead. I am going to have to trim a little more for those though.

i guess i should add that i do not go off road a whole lot, i just don't have the time, so this is mainly going to be my dd but i need it for when i do go to the trails

4.5" rusty's springs, minor trimming with 33's
100_1546.jpg

IMO i think running 32's with a 4.5 would be perfect for a daily driver. I have a 3.5 with 32's and some minor trimming and i hardly ever hit. Heck if it was me i would prob. opt for some 33's on a 4.5 lift. But its not, and you should do what you think looks good!

jpcherokeekid said:
im runing 32's and a 3.5 in lift with my fenders trimed and it looks awsome.

I was thinking of running the same thing, any pics? (is yours a white late model?)

Thanks,
Cherokid

Back