• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in the driveway, how to you temporarily lock the POS D30 axle in?

I'm assuming you have a vacuum disconnect...if so, you probably have a crack in the vacuum line somewhere.

You could trace the line, but for the same amount of effort you could install a manual actuator like a 4x4 POSI-LOK. I've actually seen write ups on simply using a 10-speed bike shifter if you don't want to spend the money on a prefabbed item.

In the meantime, you could probably crack the cover off, unplug the vacuum diffs and manually lock the axle...chances are pretty good that you'll start getting driveline vibes tho...I got 'em in my YJ when I locked it and have heard enough folks complain about the same problem to realize it's none too rare of a phenomenon.

That's true about the vibes, but it usually means your front driveshaft needs rebuilt (usually the slip joint is worn). Once you find the problem its good to address it. ;)

"Swapped the lines around" sounds fishy- vacuum on the lines work at different times (controlled by the vacuum switch on the transfer case) to lock or unlock the axle. If you switch the lines, the vacuum for locking will be applied to the unlock port, and the vacuum for unlocking will be applied to the locking port on the shift motor. Maybe I don't have the idea of what you tried- not sure.
Check the shift fork inside the shift motor housing. We had one break, result was exactly what you decide (indicator light works but axle doesn't engage). It was very easy to replace, just keep track of the circlip positions for putting it back together. Driving a 1990 since new, and a second 1990 bought by my daughter, the only problem with the axle disconnect to date has been one fork replacement. I really prefer the disconnect axle for the lack of vibes- wish my wife's 2001 had one.

Back