• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bogging and Almost turns off after highway driving

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Hey guys,

A customer of mine is having issues with his 96 4.0 ZJ. Here is what he writes:

"94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 6cyl. When cold turns full right and left just fine. After highway driving (hot) when you turn sharp right or left binds and stutters almost stalling engine, pretty nasty. However, when it’s hot going down the highway and general driving it rides and steers just fine. "

So my 93 ZJ did similar things and it was the TPS that was to blame, and mine did it around turns more than anything as well. That's what I am thinking here, but wanted to run it by you guys. It is odd that it is ONLY after driving on the highway.

Thanks,

Todd

actually, it's not that odd...after the engine warms up the idle adjusts itself to a lower rpm...when you turn the wheel the additional torque required to run the power steering pump is enough to bog/stall the engine. I've never seen it happen in a Jeep, but it's fairly common in Ford trucks, especially the older ones. My '84 F-150 would do it like clockwork when trying to turn into tight spots in a parking lot =(

As for the tps being the problem, that I can't tell you...personally I'd try cleaning the IAC first...that may be enough to compensate for it...or if you have a TPS to spare, you could try it first before blowing dough on another tps.

Anywho, good luck with that!

SanDiegoXJ said:
actually, it's not that odd...after the engine warms up the idle adjusts itself to a lower rpm...when you turn the wheel the additional torque required to run the power steering pump is enough to bog/stall the engine. I've never seen it happen in a Jeep, but it's fairly common in Ford trucks, especially the older ones. My '84 F-150 would do it like clockwork when trying to turn into tight spots in a parking lot =(

As for the tps being the problem, that I can't tell you...personally I'd try cleaning the IAC first...that may be enough to compensate for it...or if you have a TPS to spare, you could try it first before blowing dough on another tps.

Anywho, good luck with that!

I kinda don't agree with your 1st part, but maybe the IAC could stand a cleaning. I don't care how hot the truck gets (unless it is overheating) the idle should remain steady after kick-down. Ford PS Pumps always have, and always will suck ass, Jeeps don't.

Back