• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 XJ, Looking to upgrade

nc_boostn

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys I know I've posted a thread that somewhat confused a few people about how I have a 4 speed with a 2.8l motor. Well I do not know for sure that it is. But what I do know is that I have a jasper tranny and motor, both in good shape. Here's the bad and my question, for some reason the driveshaft going to the front axle(s) was removed, although the transfer case is still in tact and spins freely. Also this is the Command-trac, with the little horizontal vacuum switch to go between 2wd and 4wd, this switch is in tact but not connected to the transfer case, and the lever on the console that goes from H-N-L, isn't connected to anything at all, which makes me think I have an incorrect transfer case, or tranny. So here's my question, what is the easiest way to make this 4wd again. I have a Pull-a-Part local and can get t-cases and trannies fairly cheap. Also the front axles are cvs and looking rough. So what years are compatible and would be a good idea to pull front axles, driveshaft, (and t-case or tranny if you think I need it).

Sorry if this is confusing, it has been to me too as this was sold to me as a functional 4wd vehicle.

do you have the front driveshaft? i have heard of people, i mean a friend told me, i mean some peopel remove the front driveshaft in the summer to gain 1mpg....

Back