• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parts list good or bad

FLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 cherokee 4dr auto 4x4. Its not all time four wheel drive. Just lookin for some pointers on what i have set as my list to buy.

-Dana 30
regear to 3.73
cromoly axles
front truss
-coporate 8.25
regear 3.73
arb locker
cromoly axles
-lift/rims tires
Full traction 6inch long arm
rock crawler rims 15/8
Mickey thompson MTZ 35/12.5
-misc
unibody stiffeners

let me know what yall think.

depends on how you want to wheel it.

now im running 35s, on stock gearing, and although it isn't beautiful, its doable. and the 35s offroad for what i do more then make up for the gearing issues.

but if your regearing, id say you want to go atleast to 4.56s, if you can get a danna 44 rear then go to 4.88. the chrystler 8.25 doesn't hold any deeper then 4.56. you look like youve got the money to put into it to make a nice rig.

if i had that money:
dana 30 front, chromoly shafts, with 297 u-joints, truss
arb lockers
dana 44 rear, arb

and everything else about the same...dont forget about things like brakelines, and driveline when you get that high. if you want to do anymore then drive it down the street youll definately need brakelines, and a slip yoke eliminator will be needed more then likely

Im wanting to leave the stock axles under it not the best at fabing stuff. So the 8.25 carrier will hold a 4.56 gearing with out modify anything or changing the stock carrier. I wish i had this money know. But im buyin the parts as i get the money. As we speak im about to buy the lift rims and tires this week.

FLXJ said:
Im wanting to leave the stock axles under it not the best at fabing stuff. So the 8.25 carrier will hold a 4.56 gearing with out modify anything or changing the stock carrier. I wish i had this money know. But im buyin the parts as i get the money. As we speak im about to buy the lift rims and tires this week.

Yea, the 8.25 will hold 4.56 gears, no carrier breakes with that axle. As far as the D30 goes, give the a NAXJA vendor a call, Rawbrown, for a new carrier. Should be around $60 for one.

What you spend for regearing, you will save on gas and transmissions.

3.73 with 35's is going to overheat your transmission constantly, killing it young.. and you'll be at full throttle all the time, sucking up gas.

Going from 3.55's to 4.56 with 32's I went from 12 mpg to 19 mpg.

4.56 and 35's and I got about 16 mpg.

Went up to 4.88's and now I get 18-20 mpg.

I've got an '87 with just under 60,000 miles and I drive like a grandma. ;)

Screw anyone who says 3.73s and 35s are good, lol. The lowest you can go is 4.56s which is perfect for 33s, but ohh well.

Iget a solid 16-17mpg with 4.56s and 33s.

3.73s aren't even good with 32s let alone 35s in an auto.
4.10s will work with 33s, 34s, 35s. Depends on if its a stick or auto too if the ratio will work or not.
Sure, 3.73s will move your rig down the trail. But in 1st gear Low Range you're not going to have the crawl necessary. You'll be riding the brake down the trail all day. If you're not going to regear, run 33s max. You're still going to be pretty tall.

I got the gears goin with a 4.56 front and rear with a new carrier for dana 30. Now what axles for the front dana and what axles for the rear coporate. I was only going to put a arb locker in the rear.

Back