• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch mount AND Brushguard

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my Detours Bakkbone and winch on my Xj (very pleased with it) has anyone had any experience installing a brushguard along with it?I was looking at a few online but it looks like I'd have to do some hacking and welding (mostly where a guy would mount lights) I have this thing in the bush constantly and just wany some extra protection from branches and alders.

Wish I could help, but I haven't the experience. Why do I post? Well, I saw the Backbone bumper and really liked it, and was hoping you might have some more info/piccies to post.

Was it hard to install? Is it pretty sturdy? Was it hard to cut out the holes for the D-ring tabs/winch?

Sorry for the mini-hijack, just very curious/jealous!

:)

hI XJPhoenix, I'm pretty impressed with the backbone, It wasn't to bad to install,had to drill two holes,the hardest part was unbolting and lining up the power steering gearbox as it mounts to the backbone,replaced all the bolts with grade 8 bolts,just to be sure,approx 2 hour install,The fit is awesome, no hackjobbin.If you read the instructions on the detours site they say to notch out the bumper on the top and where the d-ring mounts poke through,I decided to try something new,I cut the center approx 18" of bumper out and mounted the remaining bumper on each side of the backbone. The remaining bumper peices have the bumper brackets attached so it was pretty simple to do and It looks really sweet!,Lots of room for maybe a set of driving lamps under the winch, I'm also planning to make a front skid that attaches to the backbone.The thing is built good and strong, I hooked onto a big tree with chains on all four tires, with brakes applied and it pulled the jeep and there was maybe 1/8" of flex.Very happy.

Very cool...

I should bite the bullet and start saving for one!

I've been looking around, and it seems the man behind Detours is a member here; you could e-mail him and ask if he's fabricated a brushguard in the past. He seems quite approachable and friendly.

:)

Back