• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter - bad brush?

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
'96 110k mi.

Having problems with my starter not wanting to turn. Sometimes if I turn the key I get nothing for half a second, then it makes a *very* slow "rrrrrr" - much slower than a dying/dead battery - but then without even sounding like it is properly turning over, voom! it starts right up. And then sometimes it starts normally.

Because I thought I "fixed" the problem by jiggling the power and ground wires, I figured I needed to redo all my grounds. The jiggling seemed to hold it for a couple weeks though, so I out the grounds off until today, when it finally died completely. Jiggling, of course, didn't do anything.

I cleaned and Ox-Garded all my main wires and the ground strap, and did get it to start, but again just barely. Then later today, it started up twice just fine.

When doing the no cranking or slow cranking, there is not a noticeable voltage drop across the terminals that would indicate a short or physical obstruction of the starter.

Is this consistent with a faulty starter, or should I get out the sandpaper and try the wires again?

Back