• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header wrap?

unrealtrip

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone using header wrap to bring down engine bay temps? I've heard that it can cause more problems than it is worth for non-race type applications. Basically I'm wrapping the pipe from the collector down to the cat to cut down on radiated heat to the floorboards now, but then I was thinking well shit I could just wrap the header while I'm at it.

The wrap will retain moisture and cause the pipes to rust....unless your pipes are stainless steel.

muddawg beat me to saying just that.

Now what i did was used high temp ceramic paint (3 coats) on top of 2 coats of high temp rustoleum (for bbq's) and then wraped them with the header wrap and only in the painted areas. 4+ years later ive had to replace the wrap (damaged from wheeling)but there is very little to no rust visible under the old wrap.

what abou if you had a new cat put on and the guy put the heat shield on the bottom "so i dont burn brush". so now all that did was cook my floorboard ruining my carpet. that lead me to the herculiner. the muffler man told me to header wrap it. that retains moisture.. ok so whats my next option?

Back