• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

From LSD to Lunchbox

jeepercreeperXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Limited-Slip D44 with 3:55 gears. If I'm reagearing to 4:56's and get a new carrier, will a lunchbox locker work (AUSSIE)?

I've heard from someone that most lunchbox's won't work with limited-slip diffs. But if the LSD goes away with the old carrier, what would be the problem?

Also, can I regear my diff and lunchbox later? That would mean my rear would be open-diff until then, right??

jeepercreeperXJ said:
Limited-Slip D44 with 3:55 gears. If I'm reagearing to 4:56's and get a new carrier, will a lunchbox locker work (AUSSIE)?

I've heard from someone that most lunchbox's won't work with limited-slip diffs. But if the LSD goes away with the old carrier, what would be the problem?

Also, can I regear my diff and lunchbox later? That would mean my rear would be open-diff until then, right??

If you get an open carrier, then a lunchbox type locker will work. The lunchbox type lockers go in place of the spider gears in an open carrier, so you'll be fine. As far as regearing, make sure that the carrier that you purchase will support the gear ratio you want to regear with. I am not sure what the break over is on ratios for a D44, but I know in the D35 that a 3.55 carrier will carry up to at least 4.56 or possibly numerically higher. Does this answer your question?

Yeah the No-Slip is all I could find. Anybody know of others?

Oh and someone at JeepForum showed me this:

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...3c4bc18dd0df83

That way I just do the ring & pinion and keep my carrier & LSD.

But I think I may want to lock later on, so I'm trying to find a lunchbox that will work with the LSD. So far No-Slip is the only one on my list.

Would you guys recommend leaving my rear as limited-slip, and locking the front (with an Aussie or sumthin) ? I would think that setup would work out ok. How bout you???

Put a no-slip in the rear. The factory LSD uses clutches that are toast after 15-25 thousand miles of normal driving, much faster with trail use. The no-slip in the 44 is a good setup.

-C

Back