• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coax routing for fender mount?

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
Im researching my options for antenna mounts and cant figure out how to get the coax from the antenna inside to the cb. Right now I have a 2' antenna mounted to my surco roof rack but I hear thats not the best place. So I'm looking into the fender mount by Firestik. I wanna see what everyone else did before I start drilling holes every where. Thanks in advance

I dont have any pics or anything but I'll try to explain how I had mine ran when it was at the drivers corner of the hood. Im guessing you mean front fender? and not rear fender.
The cable came off the ant. and down into one of the holes on the inside of the drivers fender, above the plastic fender liner inside the fender, through the door jamb opening at the rear of the fender, (theres some foam insulation in the door jamb area of the fender, it will move aside for the cable to come through) over the door seal, under the plastic interior trim piece and under the dash. I zip tied it a couple places under the hood and at the door hinge. I used a straightened coat hanger to fish it through the fender. No drilling required (at least not for the cable), easy to run and replace. The only place the cable is visable is a couple inches as it goes over the door seal and then only when the door is open.
If its the rear fender you are asking about. Ive got mine run back there now. It takes more work but I just run it in through the hatch and under the interior trim all the way to the front.

I always think its odd how people are different. I had my antenna mounted on the front fender and didnt like it so I recently moved it to the roof rack. :)

Last edited:
I was told that having it mounted to the roof rack It would mess with the swr when I threw something up there. I really don't know what to believe cause I'm hearing so much different opinions about where to and not to mount an antenna. I think it would be better on the roof but I dont freakin know. I was looking into the front fender mount cause I thought that would be the next best thing

Like all things "wheeling", installing a radio transmission antenna on a Jeep is a compromise. The compromise is between the best transmitted energy pattern and ability to remain attached through the "thick and thin" of off roading.
The "SWR" (standing wave ratio) is not affected by things placed nearby the antenna--the pattern of transmitted energy is. What is the objective of your "radio station"? You want to set records with how far you can transmit? Or do you just want to talk to your wheeling mates, let's say, up to a mile away? Being able to talk to the world is cool, but the ability to locate the antenna with that objective in mind and KEEPING it attached to the Jeep may be undo able. Defining your choice of off roading, ie: trees, brush, desert, should describe the physical problems will you run into with regard to where and how you should mount your antenna. I first installed a "desert patrol" type mount on the right, rear quarter panel, with an antenna that rose 3 ft above my Jeep. Looked cool, gave me great radio coverage, but "wipped" the bejesus out of the side of my Jeep, and any one unfortunate enough to be standing close by when I passed! Also, it took about 2 encounters with low branches or brush to "relocate" my antenna! Next position was on my spare tire carrier (swing-out kind). It's inboard enough so that dragging through brush won't affect it; it's high enough so I have decent "trail" communications. So far, that's been the best location for my style of wheeling. I've noticed my OEM radio antenna, mounted on the passenger side front fender ('88 Cherokee), takes a beating as well. So I'd be disinclined to mount my CB antenna there. My $.02.

I mounted mine about 6" aft of the radio antenna on the passenger's side. Since I don't listen to the radio, I thought about mounting it in place of the radio, but already had a side mount (black molded plastic) for the CB, so I went with it. I coiled a bunch of the coax inside the fender well after fishing it through from the inside through the hole the radio antenna uses to get inside the cab. I cut a slice in the little rubber grommet around the radio antenna, and that seemed to protect both pretty well when I stuffed it back in the hole in the sheetmetal. Pretty pinchy working inside the fender well, but plenty of room to coil up the extra coax.
I'm still working on the install, so I haven't test fired it yet. I'll let you know how the reception is. I've got a cobra 75, and 4' firestick antenna in a '97 XJ.

Mutant_Xj said:
I was told that having it mounted to the roof rack It would mess with the swr when I threw something up there. I really don't know what to believe cause I'm hearing so much different opinions about where to and not to mount an antenna. I think it would be better on the roof but I dont freakin know. I was looking into the front fender mount cause I thought that would be the next best thing

The fender mount will probably be fine for you. I have my radio mounted between the visors. I think the location of the antenna in relation to the radio was really messing with my transmission. The radio was mounted higher than the antenna, only a couple feet away with nothing but a windshield between them.
It does much better with the antenna up on the roof, higher than the radio. Your situation is probably different so the fender mount should work fine.

www.firestik.com TECH and FAQ sections will answer many of your questions about antennas and where to put them.

On the firewall on the drivers side is a round metal plug about 1.5" across. Look under the dash and you can see the inside of that plug. Drill thru it and install the coax, being carefull not to drill any XJ stuff you might need later. Use RTV silicone to make a grommet and to seal the opening.

Back