• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ODOMETER RESETS TO 98 EVERY 10 MILES

r/c-pilot

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 XJ 4.0 5spd. The odometer recently reset to zero. I drove approx: 108 miles, then it reset back to 98. Drove another 10 miles (108)then it resets to 98. "CHECK ENGINE" light is on now, due what the computer is reading. My question is: is this the gauge cluster or PCM? Archives showed some confusion on which is the problem. Some thought both, then some said one or the other. I'm leaning toward cluster, if you give the dash a adjustment above the cluster, with your fist, the fuel reading (which is pegged full) goes to correct reading (1/2 tank). Archives doesn't have anyone with SAME problem... Thanks all. RC

I'm not sure what's in the archives, but I recollect that connector problems are very common in this vintage, though the problem usually comes up as a guage issue rather than a resetting odometer. I think you might do well to pull the cluster and clean the connector and reseat it, and see if anything improves.

Thanks Matthew. I "searched" for "connector problems". Holy cow, there's a bunch of pages on connector problems. I think I'll remove the cluster and clean the terminals & put some dialectric grease on the teminals and see what happens. I guess it helps when you know what to search for. Thanks MATTHEW, for taking the time to respond.

Back