• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using the same old rusty bolts

Jeeps in Head

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a dumb question, but this is also my first lift. Are you supose to buy new grade 8 bolts to replace all those old rusty ones. Do they have to be grade 8? Do you just buy new ones if you have to cut them off or breakoff?

Also does it matter what side of the new rubber bushings that are about to be pressed in to my OME leafs face the outside of the jeep?

Thanks

If it were me, I would buy new bolts. Most NAPA's have a selection of grade 8 stuff. Around here you can also get it at True Value Hardware stoors.

They should be the same grade as what you're pulling out - if they're metric/ISO, "Grade 8" won't apply... How to tell:

Three hash marks, evenly spaced - SAE Grade 5, inch threads
Six hash marks, evenly spaced - SAE Grade 8, inch threads.
Numerical designator (8.8, 9.8, 10.9, 12.9) - metric/ISO property class, metric threads. Replace with same property class (number marking) screw.

Note that most 300-series stainless (what you'd get at the hardware store) is roughly equivalent to SAE Grade 5 (inch) or Property Class 9.8 (metric/ISO.)

5-90

thank you very much but any recomendation on the rubber bushings(mainly the rear). The rears seam slightly different from one side to the other.

Back