• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wax on, wax off

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Just painted my 89 XJ with Deep Amethyst Pearlcoat (the paint Jeep came out with in '97, methinks...had a a '98 that color and loved it!). I know the weather is a little 5hitty to be thinking about wax, but what do you all use to wax your rig? In the past, I've always used good old turtle wax.

I'd wait a few months, just to make sure the paint is cured well. I've also had pretty good luck with Turtle wax. When I don't have time for a good wax I use the wash and wax. I have a bottle of Turtle wax with Teflon, that sure comes off easy and seems to last as well as anybodies.

You are supposed to wait at least a few months before your first wax job. In this weather I'd wait until spring just to ensure a good cure. You could use a wash and wax before then though.

I have used Meguires Gold Class products on everything. All their products are very user friendly and the end result is top notch. Everyone I have told to try it loves it so give it a shot, if you don't like it take the stuff back! I have been using their stuff for over 5 years and I have never had a complaint. Most of the stuff smells good too (do not eat!).

Definitely wait a minimum of 30 days before waxing fresh paint. If you live in cold weather wait even longer. Liquid waxes are the easiest to use putting on and taking off. Most any name brands are good Turtle wax, Meguires, Mothers. First time waxing you can use pure carnuba wax and cleaner waxes after the the paint dirtys up a bit.

The best car wax I have ever used is Zaino Brothers. See www.zainostore.com. The Z2 polish is for clear coat and the Z3 is for regular paint. Try it. It has the deepest gloss of any wax I've tried...and I have tried a lot of 'em. Costs about the same as Mothers. Easy to apply and buff off. Really good stuff. Google Zaino Brothers and read the reviews on the TCOA and Cadillac forums.

cstilesiscool said:
what exactly is a "clay bar" that i've seen a few people on here do? or is that all for shine and not so much for protection?

It's a bar of clay :D

You get a spray bottle with a lubricant to go with it, and spray an area of the body. Then gently rub the bar over the wet surface, until it zips smoothly across without dragging. The dragging feel is it picking up embedded particulate matter from the surface that the wash and rinse didn't get. Industrial fallout, rail dust, that sort of thing. Can use it on your windshield too. It's the easiest part of the cleaning/waxing process - would recommend you don't skip it. A single bar should be good for three jobs or so - once a side gets dirty you just fold it into the center and squish the bar back into shape.

Last edited:
RE: Clay Bars
From the Zaino Bros web site:
"Clay bar was designed to remove airborne contaminants, paint overspray, water spots, rail dust, industrial fallout, diesel fuel & catalytic converter residue and any other bonded surface contaminants from paint. All cars even brand new factory paint has airborne contaminants... Here's the deal. The non-abrasive Z-18™ ClayBar will remove any surface contaminants from the paint finish and not hurt the clear-coat. The ClayBar will get that paint finish smooth as glass. Now remember waterspots, bird droppings and bug guts if left on the paint finish for any length of time, will etch into the paint finish. The ClayBar will also remove any store bought waxes...."

Back