• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I have 3 pairs of auxillary lights. I am also using an auxillary fuse box to run each one their own power wire. they all have separate grounds. they all have separate fuses. they all have separate switches. the switches share a ground. I just replaced ALL of the wiring.

Here is the problem. Each pair of lights work great when run one at a time. but when all three are connected to the fuse box, the fuses blow. I don't know what to do so if anyone can think of what the problem might be and suggest something, that would be great.

They are on individual fuses, and all three blow? What if only two are on?

It sounds like you need to install relay.. (or 3)

You didnt' say that. :)

I'd start looking for a short somehwere then, like maybe at the fuse box your using?

I went out and looked, and the only thing I can really think of is....

where the power wire goes through the firewall. I think that is the only place it could have shorted out.

Thanks for the help. i appreciate it.

Try and pull the wire 1" either direction, see if the lights suddenly start working?

What size main wire are u running into the fuse box?
What amp fuse are u useing for the lights?

just a guess here, but it could be that the main wire to the fuse box is to small. and when u turn on all the lights it overloads the box thus blowing the fuses.

i think the main 12 gauge wire. i am not 100% sure. and the fuses are 30 amp fuses. i was thinking that might be a problem. but if it is, then why only 2 fuses blown and not all 3?

Well the 12 gauge colud be the problem, depending how far it runs. you said that it only blows 2 of the 3 fuses, so that leaves one light working? is it always the same 2 that blow? if so try switching the the lights around, and see if it is the same fuses that blow, if so it is in the fuse box or the main wire, if not then it is in the switchs or the lights.

I found the problem. the 12 gauge main was not the problem. and I didn't have to run relays, but i might go ahead and do that any way.

where i mounted the switches. the power wires were being grounded right before they made it to the switch. it was actually the female end that goes connects to the switch that was being grounded. thats why i kept blowing fuses.

anyways i isolated the switches with electrical tape so they wouldn't come in contact with metal and now all the lights work great.

thanks for the help guys.

Back