• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

break

BigRedMachine

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgradeed axles in 89 xj to full size 44 and 9" should i upgrade my master or anything on my set up I not done with swap yet so I can't say they dont work.
thanks

This has been talked about, but you would not have to change it. I guess you are running disc in the rear? To get more brake remove the o-ring in the proportion valve under the master cylinder. It is the valve that feeds the front brake lines and rear. There is a write up on bigoffroad I believe.

My personal experience with a D44/'Zusu 12B and the factory master is that the pedal will be about a 1/2" off the floor before you get braking.

So, umm, the short answer is I think you should count on changing it.

DirtyMJ, I'm having the same issue with a similar set up as you (except I have a zuzu 44). What did you end up doing in your case? I'm thinking I need a new MC to gain more stroke as well as piston size, but am unsure as to what I'll need. I'm sure the 44/9 set up will be similar.

53guy said:
DirtyMJ, I'm having the same issue with a similar set up as you (except I have a zuzu 44). What did you end up doing in your case? I'm thinking I need a new MC to gain more stroke as well as piston size, but am unsure as to what I'll need. I'm sure the 44/9 set up will be similar.

I still haven't fixed it. But, the plan is to use a early 90s ford E-350 master and it should be golden.

I just need to hit the pick 'n pull.

What were the issues associated with installing it in a later model xj? wasn't the booster angle wrong or something like that?

Back