• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple mod that saved my motor yesterday!

ren

NAXJA Forum User
airbox1.jpg

installed with later radiator.
airbox2.jpg

Flapper door removed, snout snubbed off, and flapper siliconed in place (it's snap, really).
airbox3.jpg

Don't forget to open the box back up! The flange fits a rectangle hose for hot air to the air cleaner for a FSJ. (flange also at the core support)
It runs up to the fire wall above the brakes, and attaches with another flange. Saw this else where and got it done. It REALLY saved my motor when I hit a deep spot in the river crossing yesterday.
itwasthisdeep.jpg

It was THIS deep.

Deep water is for fishing!!!! :D

Who says that I wasn't? Nobody said that you HAD to use a pole/net. HA, HA, HA.

Both of you are cheaters.

Ricky: what is going on is me showing how I re-located the opening on the factory airbox to the rear of the box, which is a simple and effective way to help reduce the chance of hydrolocking your motor. That is what would have been an all but garanteed result of the dive that my XJ took, had the box been stock. With the opening in the rear of the box, you have a reduced chance of injesting water in the motor, since the bow wave caused by the front end pushing the water is not able to force its' way straight into the box. Also, you have a few seconds worth of air trapped under the hood, which is what allowed me to finish making it across the river. (tip: Don't be the last one to cross, if you have never been there before. Lucky me, I got to take the pix. of the whole trip. By the time that I got my gear back in the Jeep, everyone was across and farther down the bank. SO, I crossed where I saw tracks go in, and came out next to everyone, who had came out of the water farther back. Hence the reason for the unplanned submarine impression.).This also makes it a LOT easier to add a poor man's snorkel, aka the stealth snorkel. I will post pix. of the complete set-up tomorrow. Hopefully, that will be self-explanitory.

Last edited:
itwasthisdeep.jpg

Good lord what does that bumper weigh?

Enough to cause a hernia!! Other than that, don't know. It HAS saved the XJ from a 184 lbs. 8 point buck at about 45 MPH though, so it is staying on there.

ren said:
Ricky: what is going on is ........

Oh oh! Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice in the pictures, and then I now realized I totally missed one of the lines of text beneath one of the pics.

Right on, I might consider doing that!

Back