• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Chain Tension

cvlv2

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my oil pan gasket, rear main seal and oil pump. While under the jeep with the oil pan off, I looked up at the timing chain. I poked at it with my finger and it seems to have a lot of 'slack' in it. The engine runs fine, but the looseness of that chain has me worried. Should it be loose?

I don't want to put the pan back on until I find out.

Your chain is about broken in - timing chains are typically good (OEM) for 300K or better.

If you use the newer (1996 and up) moulded rubber gasket and install it correctly, you don't need to replace it when you dismount the timing chain cover for service, either.

5-90

My thinking , if its loose then your valve timing is a degree off where it should be. It may not break in the next 100k but I'd still feel better to replace it.

I think the standard is about 1/2 inch deflection. Sounds like you need to replace it. They aren't that expensive either. I'd replace the front cranckshaft seal while your at it. They do make a repair 'kit' if you have a groove where the seal has been on the dampner (I think its the dampner).
Tom

Back