• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to prepare for some trailriding.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I've already made plans for some trail riding this sunday with some friends. So far we have a lifted grand cherokee, lifted cherokee, my stock cherokee, and a stock blazer. The two lifted vehicles will lead the way, to help pull me or the blazer out if we get stuck. I sort of have bad memories of this trail, last march ( My last time touching a trail) I went alone with two friends down the trail and didn't know what I was doing. I hydrolocked my engine and we have to drag my jeep out with a backhoe and replace the motor. My speed was what cause me to suck the water in. This weekend I'm going to take my time and hopefully get threw this damn thing. The trail consits of mud, water, and more mud. What should I do to prep for the trail ? Deflate my tires ? Where would be a safe location to hook my jeep up to another vehicle in case I do get stuck ? It's a stock jeep with no tow hooks. I'm going to make sure I have a set of jumper cables, boots, gloves, my spare. am i missing anything ?

You REALLY need to get some tow points. Worst case scenario you can hook a strap to the axle, or the shackles. But its not really recomended. Do you have a rear hitch?

you should really have tow hooks or tow hitches at least on the front or rear of ur vehicle. If not, I would say only pull from the axle housings themselves, just be aware that the tierod could get damaged from a front pull.

I dunno man I would not go without tow hooks expecially if you think or know you are going to get stuck expecally in water, they say the first mods you should do to you XJ if you go wheelin is to get a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and recovery points.

I have the C4x4 tow hooks in the front and a hitch with a D ring reciever, with if 1st aid kit and fire extinguisher.

go to a junkyard and find tow hook tie ins for the front. they were on tons of cherokees

i spent 10 bucks on mine and even came with the hooks. hooks you can get at any part store. you're dumb if you go wheeling without them. i was dumb once...once.

Well, #1 learn how to drive your Jeep on trails.
#2 - get some mud tires and run them at 12-15 lbs or so.
#3 - don't be pissed if your carpet gets muddy from your boots.
#4 - Bring tow straps, a clevis or two, gloves, a hatchet
#5 - Make sure everyone in the group knows what they're getting into.
#6 - Tow points are necessary.
#7 - CBs are nice too
#8 - Explain to them that sometimes people get dents in their vehicles.
#9 - Make sure somebody knows the trails, so you can have fun and not worry about where the hell you're at.
#10 - Keep it in low range the entire time, some newbys think 4wd is enough... Nah, everyone needs to be in LOW.
#11 - Bring every tool you can fit in a carry along tool box.
#12 - Bring duct tape, rope, wire and other african engineering supplies.
#13 - Bring some towels or a piece of old carpet so when you lay in the mud, it's a little better.
#14 - Bring some blocks of wood or pieces of wood.
#15 - Bring at least one good jack (use the wood for a base if needed)
#16 - Bring some water in a jug.
#17 - Bring a light of some sort.
#18 - A small chain saw is nice.
#19 - Bring an air pump, even if it's a hand one. At least you have it.
#20 - Bring a couple airplane bottles of Vodka in case the the women start getting fussy when somebody's in an ugly situation. Hand them the Vodka, and they'll forget about the smelly mud water on the floorboards.

Last edited:
barillms said:
Well, #1 learn how to drive your Jeep on trails.
#2 - get some mud tires and run them at 12-15 lbs or so.
#3 - don't be pissed if your carpet gets muddy from your boots.
#4 - Bring tow straps, a clevis or two, gloves, a hatchet
#5 - Make sure everyone in the group knows what they're getting into.
#6 - Tow points are necessary.
#7 - CBs are nice too
#8 - Explain to them that sometimes people get dents in their vehicles.
#9 - Make sure somebody knows the trails, so you can have fun and not worry about where the hell you're at.
#10 - Keep it in low range the entire time, some newbys think 4wd is enough... Nah, everyone needs to be in LOW.
#11 - Bring every tool you can fit in a carry along tool box.
#12 - Bring duct tape, rope, wire and other african engineering supplies.
#13 - Bring some towels or a piece of old carpet so when you lay in the mud, it's a little better.
#14 - Bring some blocks of wood or pieces of wood.
#15 - Bring at least one good jack (use the wood for a base if needed)
#16 - Bring some water in a jug.
#17 - Bring a light of some sort.
#18 - A small chain saw is nice.
#19 - Bring an air pump, even if it's a hand one. At least you have it.
#20 - Bring a couple airplane bottles of Vodka in case the the women start getting fussy when somebody's in an ugly situation. Hand them the Vodka, and they'll forget about the smelly mud water on the floorboards.

Good instructions

Just a couple more

21 - Understand you are going to get stuck and going to need to get pulled out, its ok. It happens to all of us and one time or another.
22 - Don't go fast, take your time and less things will break
23 - Experience is learned, so watch the vehicals in front and follow there path if it worked.
24 - have fun (most important)

if you are alway playing in that deep of water, then I would get a snorkel.
I have hydrolocked a motor due to deep mud and water. It sux!!! bad.

I have since vowed... no more muddy water unless I know the hole.

Also I am X2 with the tow point thing. Get some type of recovery points!!!
It is a must have on a mostly stock wheeler!

I would break up the lifted vehicles. Have one in front and one in the rear and the two stock vehicles in the middle.

Make sure you keep the guy behind you in sight.

Ask for a spotter if you need it.

Get tow points. For the rear since you have a receiver remove the hitch pin slide the tow strap in and put the pin back in, and make sure it goes through the loop.

Dress warm, bring lots of water/food.

Cell phone, CB, or FRS radios to keep in contact.

Matches and small amount of newspaper in a zip-loc/water proof bag.

Toilet paper in zip-loc/water proof bag.

Here's a good one!
- Don't start up a hill until the guy in front of you has made it ALL THE WAY to the top. Sit and wait at the bottom, tell him to honk once he clears the top.
Same going down STEEP hills.
Wait at the top, until the guy in front of you is at the bottom.
So you don't go skidding out of control into his rear end. Shit happens.

x one million on tow hooks/recovery points. The very worst thing you can do is go out on a trail alone. The SECOND wrose thing you could do is go on a trail without tow hooks. Trust me, EVERYONE gets stuck at some point, and if you have any of my luck it will happen to you without you having hooks. Spending a couple bucks on some hooks is a lot better than spending several hundred on a new axle or tie rod that gets damaged from a pull. Since I have started wheeling this past summer I have used either my front tow hooks or my rear receiver D-ring on EVERY single trail ride. Either me pulling someone or someone pulling me. DON'T go out with recovery points.

Back