• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for Headliner Foam board repair?

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
I have repaired the headliner fabric before however my current jeep came with a 6"x6" hole in the center of the headliner. What can I use to fill this and smooth out the headliner once I pull the fabric off? I was thinking gap filler foam in a can or something but I am worried about adhesion.

thank you for your thoughts.

i filled a sunroof in mine and had t rip out my headliner and to hide it i had to get a non sunroof one i went to a junk yard . go to a junkyard and buy a headliner . i got mine in perfect conditon for 40 bucks...

I have been looking for one from the junkyard :( Unfortunatly its a 98 with the integrated speaker bar and so far I have not found one that is nice enough yet....

I would probably head to Home Depot and get the following:

Piece of 1/4 inch thick foam insulation board
Can of fiberglass resin
Small piece of fiberglass cloth

Cut the foam to fit, then spread on some catalyzed resin and lay over a piece of glass cloth a few inches bigger than the repair. Lay on some more resin, smooth (a squeegie works great for smoothing glass work) and let the whole mess harden up. If you wind up with rough spots you can sand it smooth, but the headliner foam will cover up small irregularities.

If you want to go really cheap you can probably just duct tape the foam in from the back, then when you glue on the headliner it will probably hold everything in place fine, but I tend to overkill a repair.

Dave

I am getting a flip down LCD :) but the hole is above the rear seats (I have no idea what they did) I am liking the fiberglass resin thing...I think I will try it. I will do a full write up on the repair.

Back