PDA

View Full Version : January 27 or 28th Snow Run (Snoqualmie?)

2xtreme
January 2nd, 2007, 10:47
I need to get my next snow run on the calander so that it isn't too long before it happens. I am thinking January 28th but might be able to make the 27th work or we could do the overnighter at the same time?

I am thinking Tinkham road, maybe two or three groups depending on the size of the party. Maybe run 1 group on the south side of I-5 and the other on the north side.

I am thinking 5-7 trucks per group is about right? Thoughts?

Matt, did I get the idea there might be some good spots to build igloo's up there when you were up there last time? (Big open areas?)

We could do a Sat run up to that area, build igloo's, trenches, etc, and then meet up early Sunday morning for those who are not spending the night?

Thoughts,
Comments,
Questions,
Who's In?

Michael

IXNAYXJ
January 2nd, 2007, 11:54
I need to get my next snow run on the calendar so that it isn't too long before it happens. I am thinking January 28th but might be able to make the 27th work or we could do the overnight-er at the same time?

I am thinking Tinkham road, maybe two or three groups depending on the size of the party. Maybe run 1 group on the south side of I-5 and the other on the north side.

I am thinking 5-7 trucks per group is about right? Thoughts?

Matt, did I get the idea there might be some good spots to build igloo's up there when you were up there last time? (Big open areas?)

We could do a Sat run up to that area, build igloo's, trenches, etc, and then meet up early Sunday morning for those who are not spending the night?

Thoughts,
Comments,
Questions,
Who's In?

MichaelI'm all over it. I might make an exploratory trip up there this weekend to see what the snow is like.

The last time I was up there, the road was plowed up the the shooting range, but they may have stopped that after the Christmas tree cutting season. The problem we ran into last time was that the snow just got too deep (5'-'6) and there was just no way to get any farther. However, there was a large area right there that could be used for igloos, it just wasn't very far up the mountain.

We didn't explore the North side, so I can't speak to the conditions there. Either way, I've really been looking forward to an overnight snow run. I assume you will not be bringing kids, Michael? Will you also be making some minimum requirements for participants, not only in vehicle specs, but also cold-weather preparedness?

In any event, sign me up! :)

-----Matt-----

This was the end of the road on our last Tinkham trip:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Tinkham%20Snow%20Run/matt_buried.jpg

pSYChedXJ
January 2nd, 2007, 12:07
Sounds like an awesome idea. I've been waiting for an excuse to snow-camp! There should be PLENTY of snow up there for igloos/snow shelters. Only problem is I MIGHT be going out of town; too early to tell. However, if I'm here, I'm in!

- Jay

CanMan
January 2nd, 2007, 12:10
Im in for either day. Saturday is my Bday, so it should be a fun one. Need to get in at least one more snow run before the Jeep goes under the sawzall for a few months.

2xtreme
January 2nd, 2007, 13:22
To be honest, this isn't really the way I would like to do the "hypothermia run" however, I think given the differing experience of the group I think it would be much safer to do it this way. I got the impression there was a large clearing out there and as long as that was a safe place to do the Igloo's then I think that could work well (last year it was not plowed, correct?) I have done LOTS of snow camping, and to be honest I am only interested in doing this if the group is seriously interested in building igloo's and camping in them (not in tents or Jeeps, unless absolutely necessary for safety).

Having said this, the snow conditions from the last run (Jack's Pass) were not workable for building Igloo's, so all of this is dependant on the condition and amount of snow.

Here is my thoughts; Leave Tinkham road exit 9:00ish on Sat morning with those who are intested in building Igloo's. Get up to the clearing area before 1:00pm to start building Igloo's and setting up camp. (I am not opossed to those who want to help/learn how to do this but do not want to spend the night coming up and leaving before it get's too dark) I do not want more than 12 people spending the night in 2 igloo's. In the morning, meet with the rest of the group just up for Sunday about 9:00ish. The igloo's need to be crushed before we leave on Sunday.

What would be required of people planning on camping:
1. Decent camping skills and experience
2. Excellent winter clothing and plenty of it
3. Good Winter sleeping bag
4. Tarps, groud cloths, blankets
5. snow saw, wood saws, shovels
6. Good physical shape, it is hard working building igloo's
7. Good stove and fuel
8. NO Excessive Alcohol (2 drinks max per person ALL day Sat)
9. A vehicle that is capable of getting up to the camping area.

Does this work?

Sunday would be a good time for the "formal NAXJA snow run" when we have multiple groups with varying capabilities of vehicles in several groups.

Michael

Avanteone
January 2nd, 2007, 13:49
I'm in for wheeling Sunday, dunno if I could pull off snow camping as we have plans the evening of the 27th.

J

IXNAYXJ
January 2nd, 2007, 14:24
I'm in for Saturday (as long as you think I meet the requirements, Michael. ;)). I've been planning to get a really good cold-weather bag for a while. I got a couple hundred worth of REI gift certificates for Christmas with this express intent.

I'm pretty sure I'll head up to Tinkham this weekend and do some recce. The place where we stopped last trip was where two roads intersected and went around a large corner forming a large-ish clearing. It was big enough for 6 vehicles to maneuver around each other, so if that's where we end up it would work. I'd love to be able to go farther up the road because that spot is only a about 1/2 mile past the shooting range, which is about 4 miles past the bottom.

Here's the spot I'm talking about:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Tinkham%20Snow%20Run/tinkham2.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Tinkham%20Snow%20Run/tinkham1.jpg

-----Matt-----

Avanteone
January 2nd, 2007, 14:29
I'm in for Saturday (as long as you think I meet the requirements,

8. NO Excessive Alcohol (2 drinks max per person ALL day Sat)

I dunno... there may be a problem there, Matt.

IXNAYXJ
January 2nd, 2007, 14:30
I dunno... there may be a problem there, Matt.:cheers:

-----Matt-----

2xtreme
January 2nd, 2007, 16:21
Unfortunately I have not seen the area, only what I have seen in your photos. And I will not have the ability to go out there before hand due to travel and other plans. But from the photos I have seen, I don't think it should be an issue.

On my last trip out to Tinkham we got stuck going up the big hill (Matt you were at the top with a few others, I was stuck behind the YJ). Where is this clearing in comparison to that? I assume it is significantly further off the hiway?

The North side of the road is the old pass road where you, me, Ian, a couple of others all had a shot at going for quite a while till we decided to turn back due to darkness (same area as where the Ford pick up was buried).

I think this area should give us plenty of options for multiple groups. And should work out with the camping as long as there is enough room for the igloo's (off of the road).

Matt, yes, you meet the requirements as long as you can hold off the beer:cheers:

Michael

CanMan
January 2nd, 2007, 16:40
I really like the camping idea. I also like the idea of keeping it small, and to more experienced persons.

If any can, I would suggest snow shoes. Makes walking around a lot easier, IMO. I just got some at Sams Club for like $55 (http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/12GaugeXJ/Other%20crap/100_3446.jpg), and came with a small snow shovel.

Count me in for camping and sunday also.

IXNAYXJ
January 2nd, 2007, 16:51
On my last trip out to Tinkham we got stuck going up the big hill (Matt you were at the top with a few others, I was stuck behind the YJ). Where is this clearing in comparison to that? I assume it is significantly further off the hiway?Correct; the spot shown in the pictures is several miles further up the hill, which actually gets steeper the further along you get. It looks like I'll be going up there with a few people Sunday for sure, so I'll report back after that and advise of the current conditions.

-----Matt-----

2xtreme
January 2nd, 2007, 21:14
Correct; the spot shown in the pictures is several miles further up the hill, which actually gets steeper the further along you get. It looks like I'll be going up there with a few people Sunday for sure, so I'll report back after that and advise of the current conditions.

-----Matt-----

That is what I thought.
Perfect. Let us know what the snow is like up there!!

Snow shoes are useful, but since we will not be walking long distances and the camping area will very quickly become very packed they are useful but by no means necessary (if you have them, obviously bring them, but I don't want everybody to think they need to go buy them for this trip).

Michael

Kilted XJer
January 2nd, 2007, 22:53
Sunday sounds good to me. I'm pretty new.. can anyone give me some advice as far as what i'll need to bring, etc.

CanMan
January 2nd, 2007, 22:59
Sunday sounds good to me. I'm pretty new.. can anyone give me some advice as far as what i'll need to bring, etc.

Id suggest: Warm clothes, extra clothes, extra food, warm sleeping bag, a few blankets, and basic first aid and survival stuff. Just incase something happens, and we have to stay the night out there.

Recovery gear of course. And basic spares and such.

Glad you can make it. Looking foward to meeting you!

XJCasper
January 3rd, 2007, 00:04
Work schedule pending, I would be there on Sunday.

Elfwizard1975
January 3rd, 2007, 00:07
Im in, Along with a buddy. Expert snow campers!

90exjay
January 3rd, 2007, 21:24
I want to go, but not sure if my heep oops:shhh: i mean jeep will be ready.Can anyone spare a seat for me to tag along?

Sean

IXNAYXJ
January 3rd, 2007, 21:43
I want to go, but not sure if my heep oops:shhh: i mean jeep will be ready.Can anyone spare a seat for me to tag along?

SeanYour Jeep should be fine as-is, but you're more than welcome to ride with me, Sean.

-----Matt-----

90exjay
January 3rd, 2007, 22:38
Your Jeep should be fine as-is, but you're more than welcome to ride with me, Sean.

-----Matt-----

Are you going up saturday? if so what time?

Sean

IXNAYXJ
January 4th, 2007, 11:46
Are you going up saturday? if so what time?

SeanI think we'll be headin up pretty early in order to start making camp by 1300. The next morning (as I understand it) we'll be meeting up with the rest of the group and wheeling most of the day on Sunday. If you don't want to make it a 2-day thing, you might just want to meet us on Sunday mornign and ride along then.

Either way, you're welcome to join us. :)

-----Matt-----

hards91xj
January 4th, 2007, 21:44
[
WE talking I 90 or where does Tinkham RD cross I 5 ???:D :D

pSYChedXJ
January 5th, 2007, 18:20
Okay, I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

Okay, the bad news ( I always pick the bad news first). Uncle Sam came through; not going to be around for this run.:tears:

The good news is that I won't miss out on any snow. I'm headed to Aspen, CO for Level I & Level II Avalanche certification. (http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/p-avalanche-courses-260.html) So maybe when I get back, I can put my new skills to good use on the NEXT snow run.
:clap:

Hope you guys have fun!
- Jay

IXNAYXJ
January 5th, 2007, 18:31
The good news is that I won't miss out on any snow. I'm headed to Aspen, CO for Level I & Level II Avalanche certification. (http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/p-avalanche-courses-260.html) So maybe when I get back, I can put my new skills to good use on the NEXT snow run.Loser.

Seriously, that's really cool. On our next snow/camping run you can show us all the cool stuff you learn. Have fun, and try to stay warm!

-----Matt-----

Elfwizard1975
January 5th, 2007, 19:00
Okay, I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

Okay, the bad news ( I always pick the bad news first). Uncle Sam came through; not going to be around for this run.:tears:

The good news is that I won't miss out on any snow. I'm headed to Aspen, CO for Level I & Level II Avalanche certification. (http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/p-avalanche-courses-260.html) So maybe when I get back, I can put my new skills to good use on the NEXT snow run.
:clap:

Hope you guys have fun!
- Jay

Let me know if you find any surface hoar. The coolest part is when you start digging the pits on 30 deg slopes! When I took avalanche classes we also burried a beacon and had to find it. You will have fun. Hope your in shape!

2xtreme
January 5th, 2007, 23:03
[
WE talking I 90 or where does Tinkham RD cross I 5 ???:D :D

My bad. Should be I-90. The south side is where Matt had his previous trip mentioned earlier. The north side is where those of us tried going up the pass after lunch last year (small group that did very well after a disaster of a morning).

Michael

IXNAYXJ
January 16th, 2007, 15:45
Just wanted to bring this back to everyone's attention as the date is approaching. Start clearing schedules!

-----Matt-----

Avanteone
January 22nd, 2007, 14:34
BTT. Hard to believe all the extra activity here in the past few days and that this had gotten bumped to page 2 :) hahaha

Anyways, I'm still in for Sunday only. What's the plan for meeting Sunday AM for those of us NOT going up Saturday?

John

IXNAYXJ
January 22nd, 2007, 15:42
BTT. Hard to believe all the extra activity here in the past few days and that this had gotten bumped to page 2 :) hahaha

Anyways, I'm still in for Sunday only. What's the plan for meeting Sunday AM for those of us NOT going up Saturday?

JohnWhat I envision happening is those of us camping will head down to the I-90 trailhead and meet up with those who want to wheel Sunday. Depending on the size of the group, we can either split up or roll together, possibly up the Denny Creek/North side up to the pass.

-----Matt-----

XJCasper
January 22nd, 2007, 22:45
D@mn.

I should post a poll. Do I call in Sick on Sunday?

2xtreme
January 23rd, 2007, 05:37
9:00AM Sat meeting up at Tinkham Road (Matt, please do me a favor and add which exit number it is and any other details about the meeting area). We will plan on going as far as we can till about 1:00 or 2:00 depending on the snow conditions. Assuming we find a decent place to make igloo's we will set up camp (Expect alot of tireing work). In the case of bad snow conditions, not completing the camp, or other, please bring tarps, tents, etc for accomodations.

If you are meeting up Sunday, we will meet at the same place and same time.

Is everybody clear on what to plan for and bring?
I need a good list of who will be there Sat?
Who will be spending the night?
Who will be there Sunday?

Michael

Avanteone
January 23rd, 2007, 08:55
Who will be there Sunday?

I'm in for Sunday, along with one or two of my club guys.

Slacker87XJ
January 23rd, 2007, 11:33
Michael I'm in for the overnight run for sure, with tarp and 3-season tent in case the snow doesn't cooperate.

Matt, I assume we'll meet at exit 47 (the second Tinkam exit and the last exit before the pass)?

-i

IXNAYXJ
January 23rd, 2007, 13:06
9:00AM Sat meeting up at Tinkham Road (Matt, please do me a favor and add which exit number it is and any other details about the meeting area).Exit 47 is the exit closest to the section of Tinkham road that runs up the side of the hill. It is the second exit that is called "Tinkham Rd," so don't let that confuse you. After exiting off I-90 to the right, turn right at the end of the off-ramp. At the next stop sign, turn right. There is a decent sized shoulder about 100 ft further on the right that makes a good rally point.

I'll be there 100% for Saturday camping and wheeling Sunday, and Cody (GreenbeltXJ) may be riding along with me.

I'm in for Sunday, along with one or two of my club guys.I talked to Aaron last night and he told me he'd be coming...who else is gonna be there?

-----Matt-----

Avanteone
January 23rd, 2007, 13:16
I talked to Aaron last night and he told me he'd be coming...who else is gonna be there?

-----Matt-----

Jesse may be coming.

2xtreme
January 23rd, 2007, 15:53
All sounds good. Please make sure that anyone coming on Saturday is very clear with the earlier list of items that they need to be prepared to bring.
Besides the most obviouse:
Extra saws (of variouse kinds depending on the snow).
Extra shovels.
Extra tarps.
Are all very important. If you plan on spending the night I expect you to be prepared with plenty of these basic tools and prepared for cold weather. In reality it will be wonderful, fun, warm, and exciting. But I can't stress enough how important it is to be prepared.

So far I have 4 or 5 overnight?
Myself (Michael)
Matt
Ian
Cody ?
Eli ?

Michael

IXNAYXJ
January 23rd, 2007, 16:45
Sounds good!

Oh, btw the weather looks fantastic for the weekend. Weather.com is saying it'll be sunny and 34/35 both days! Thank God it won't be raining like last time I was up there, it was pretty miserable.

-Forecast- (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USWA0413?from=36hr_topnav_vacation)

Oh, and here's a pic of the pull-out just off the freeway. Just squint and imagine it a lot snowier:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Gunfest/DSC00314.jpg

-----Matt-----

Matt_West
January 23rd, 2007, 18:54
John,
It is not looking like I am not going to be able to get down to your shop during the day this week. However I would like to meet you at the trail head on Sunday and pick up the exhaust header.

Alternatively if you don't want to commit to a time, I am still working on recovery points so won't be partaking in the drive, Ian could probably facilitate an exchange for us.

Thanks,
Matt

Slacker87XJ
January 23rd, 2007, 19:30
All sounds good. Please make sure that anyone coming on Saturday is very clear with the earlier list of items that they need to be prepared to bring.
Besides the most obviouse:
Extra saws (of variouse kinds depending on the snow).
Extra shovels.
Extra tarps.
Are all very important. If you plan on spending the night I expect you to be prepared with plenty of these basic tools and prepared for cold weather. In reality it will be wonderful, fun, warm, and exciting. But I can't stress enough how important it is to be prepared.

So far I have 4 or 5 overnight?
Myself (Michael)
Matt
Ian
Cody ?
Eli ?

Michael

I'll be picking up a snow shovel and saw tonight. In addition I'll bring:

Tarp + plenty of line
2 man tent
Hatchet, etc.
weber bbq to sink into the snow for a firepit :)
some firewood
generator and espresso machine

So there's only 3 of us now?

-i

Avanteone
January 23rd, 2007, 22:48
John,
It is not looking like I am not going to be able to get down to your shop during the day this week. However I would like to meet you at the trail head on Sunday and pick up the exhaust header.

Alternatively if you don't want to commit to a time, I am still working on recovery points so won't be partaking in the drive, Ian could probably facilitate an exchange for us.

Thanks,
Matt

I plan on being at the shop late tomorrow (6:30-7pm) if that makes things any easier for you. Sunday I plan on towing and leaving truck/trailer in North bend somewhere. I could throw it in the Jeep there and bring to trail head if necessary.

J

Matt_West
January 23rd, 2007, 23:14
I should be able to make it down tomorrow if you will be around that late. I will call you when I leave Redmond.

XJCasper
January 24th, 2007, 02:28
You guys think it would be safe for a Stock Xterra with only the front two hook to tag along on Sunday?

2xtreme
January 24th, 2007, 05:04
You guys think it would be safe for a Stock Xterra with only the front two hook to tag along on Sunday?

As long as there are tow points front and back and decent snow/ice tires he can try. Worst case we will leave him at the bottom and he can ride along with someone else. Won't really know till we get there. In my experience a stock rig can handle it with good tires and snow experience. But there have been very few stock rigs that have done these trips with us and not ended up being left at or near the bottom.

You coming? Which day/day's?

Michael

XJCasper
January 24th, 2007, 23:28
If I come up it is on Sunday.

Still debating whether I go to work or call in sick.

Kilted XJer
January 24th, 2007, 23:41
I'm in for Sunday for sure. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Jeff

Avanteone
January 24th, 2007, 23:50
Anybody else towing? I plan on dropping truck/trailer in North Bend and then driving... unless you guys have a better spot.

J

2xtreme
January 25th, 2007, 05:28
Anybody else towing? I plan on dropping truck/trailer in North Bend and then driving... unless you guys have a better spot.

J

I actually plan on driving my XJ down for this trip, only because I don't really want to park my tow vehicle and trailer over night somewhere around there.

I would guess that there is plenty of room just off of the exit. There is also a small parking lot (with room for your trailer and truck) just a little ways East of where we normally meet.

Michael

Matt_West
January 25th, 2007, 19:35
If anyone wants to park a tow rig at my house I am just South of Carnation.

CanMan
January 26th, 2007, 00:22
Sorry guys, im going to have to MEOW out on this one. Just never really got prepared for it enough in time. Might be going out with some other friends near Greenwater for some snow camping in Feburary, if we would want to set up another one.

XJCasper
January 27th, 2007, 00:57
I'll be there Sunday morning

Avanteone
January 28th, 2007, 21:30
I'm home. Great run today. Tons of awesome pics coming shortly.

J

Blkxjkrawler
January 28th, 2007, 22:10
I'm home. Great run today. Tons of awesome pics coming shortly.

J

Thats what I heard,I cant wait to see them.
Ryan

Avanteone
January 28th, 2007, 22:38
The pics are uploading to photobucket, I'm wiped and will get 'em up in the morning. Here's a couple of teasers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-33.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-67.jpg

GreenbeltXJ
January 28th, 2007, 22:56
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-67.jpg[/QUOTE]

I bet Matt sh!t himself on this one:confused1

Avanteone
January 28th, 2007, 22:59
I think someone's got pics of me nearly standing mine on it's nose, too ;)

GreenbeltXJ
January 28th, 2007, 23:05
i wanted to go, but we had the in-laws over. i did clean out the garage, clean all 3 vehicles, trim my fenders and i got the gas smell out of the jeep.
( I spent allot of time in the garage)

XJCasper
January 29th, 2007, 02:08
Not as good as John's action shots, but this is what turned out before the battery died:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow2.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow3.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow4.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow5.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow6.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow7.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow10.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow9.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow11.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow12.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow13.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow15.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow21.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow16.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow17.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow18.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow19.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow20.jpg

Snowball Fights Gone Wild

PDeeXJ
January 29th, 2007, 02:29
Is that a fallen tree on the path, or you guys Bonsai hunting?

Jason, you know you can post more than one pic in a post? Or trying to beef up your post count? :confused1

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 08:01
I think we crossed like 4 or 5 trees buried in the snow, but that one we had to cut a couple of branches out of the way and then drive over. You'd never guess that it was a tree on TOP of 4+ feet of snow at that point ;)

J

and X2 on more than one pic per reply. haha

2xtreme
January 29th, 2007, 08:21
For the First "Hypothermia" Run I think we did really well. 3 of us went up the typical Tinkham road trail (under the railroad tressel) and made it all the way to the top to camp out. The snow didn't cooporate for Igloo's but we stayed in tents and with the fire we were all pretty warm.

Sunday we had another 4 rigs join us for a great day run with lots of fun for everyone.

I will let Matt provide the whole glorified story in detail!!

I don't think we have ever had a snow run with more carnage than this run?
If I am not mistaken we had:
1 broken ring and pinion
1 broken front axle shaft
3 tires off the beads

Anything I missed?
I will try to get pic's up by the end of the day.

Michael

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 08:57
Sounds about right on the damage. I'll have a confirmation on Matt's by the end of the day... we'll cross fingers for something simpler.

J

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 11:25
Here's more of mine. Way TOO many of Matt as he was the one behind me. hahahaha... Hopefully more get posted of the others as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-11.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-12.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-14.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-27.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-33.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-35.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-38.jpg

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 11:31
The aftermath of Aaron's fr. end in the air:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-39.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-43.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-47.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-49.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-54.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-59.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-63.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-66.jpg

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 11:33
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-67.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-68.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-69.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-70.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-72.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-74.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-75.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-76.jpg

2xtreme
January 29th, 2007, 12:26
Way TOO many of Matt as he was the one behind me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Avanteone/DennyCreek1-28-07/DennyCreek1_28_07-38.jpg

Matt has this way of parking his rig and stopping at every cool obstacle for a photo shoot. Making it way too time consuming for others in the group to do the same. We might need to banish him to the back of the pack;)

That pic of Ian's jeep is my favorite pic from this trip!!

John, Very nice work with the camera to get that pic of Aaron in mid air!! Another great action shot!!

Michael

2xtreme
January 29th, 2007, 13:25
A select few of my photos from day 1 including camp and sunset.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9334.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9338.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9343.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9348.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9354.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9359.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9366.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9371.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9373.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9370.jpg

Michael

2xtreme
January 29th, 2007, 13:29
From Day 2.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9386.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9392.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9393.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9399.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9398.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9404.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9405.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9408.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/2xtremexj/Hypothermia%20Run%2007/DSCN9411.jpg

Michael

JBweld
January 29th, 2007, 13:44
Wow, great pictures guys!

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 14:05
I love the group show /w I90 in the background.

J

XJCasper
January 29th, 2007, 14:40
I am trying to work my Post Count up.:jester:

Slacker87XJ
January 29th, 2007, 15:46
EXCELLENT weekend, gentlemen. Thats the most fun I've ever had on a snow run! Great pics, too. I've got a couple that I'll post from home later.

Me to John: "What do you mean I can't drive under the snow pack? Do I need a snorkle or something?" :cool:

Things I learned:

How to build 1/2 an igloo. (thanks, Michael ;) )
5 psi is always better than 8 in the snow. I will learn this again next snow run. And the one after that. And ...
My cheapo chinese tire guage is wildly inaccurate. If it reads 0 psi, its actaully 8. If it reads 25 psi it's actually 27. Or 31, or 29, depending on the tire.
You can break sh1t in the snow.
How to reseat a blown bead with ether. Way too cool. Thanks, John :D
'Sputnik' the BBQ is not trail rated.
Neither are the zip ties holding my fan shroud.

Can't wait to do the next one!

-i

Slacker87XJ
January 29th, 2007, 15:55
I love the group show /w I90 in the background.

J

Me too - I was just posting the above, and one of my coworkers stepped into my cube, saw that pic, laughed, and said "How the heck did you get there? You guys are nuts!" :D

-i

IXNAYXJ
January 29th, 2007, 15:55
Working on getting all the pics downloaded, then I'll post up a little write-up and picture thread. Until then, here's a teaser.

Ansel Adams, had he owned a Jeep:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Hypothermia%202007/CIMG0889.jpg

-----Matt-----

Avanteone
January 29th, 2007, 16:32
Sounds about right on the damage. I'll have a confirmation on Matt's by the end of the day... we'll cross fingers for something simpler.

FREE: D30 4.56 Ring & Pinion. 75% tread remaining. :(

ECKSJAY
January 29th, 2007, 16:37
FREE: D30 4.56 Ring & Pinion. 75% tread remaining. :(

Oh poo...time for that 44?

IXNAYXJ
January 29th, 2007, 16:59
Oh poo...time for that 44?Yup. I'm not dumping another gawdamn cent into that ****ing D30.

-----Matt-----

Slacker87XJ
January 29th, 2007, 17:34
Yup. I'm not dumping another gawdamn cent into that ****ing D30.

-----Matt-----

I still have a used Dana/Spicer 4:56 gearset for a D30 - 100% tread ;)

-i

ECKSJAY
January 29th, 2007, 17:44
Yup. I'm not dumping another gawdamn cent into that ****ing D30.

-----Matt-----

You need a 60. :D

IXNAYXJ
January 29th, 2007, 17:50
You need a 60. :DMeh. I don't even know when it happened, either. No loud bang, no indication whatsoever. I'm pretty surprised the axles didn't let go first, too. John thinks there might be an issue with either the Detroit or the grears themselves that contributed to the breakage. Investigating getting it warrantied, or at least some help.

I do think a D44 is in my future, though.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ
January 29th, 2007, 18:39
Another teaser:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Hypothermia%202007/CIMG0831.jpg?t=1170121096

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Hypothermia%202007/CIMG0835.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Hypothermia%202007/CIMG0867.jpg

-----Matt-----

JBweld
January 29th, 2007, 19:36
Meh. I don't even know when it happened, either. No loud bang, no indication whatsoever. I'm pretty surprised the axles didn't let go first, too. John thinks there might be an issue with either the Detroit or the grears themselves that contributed to the breakage. Investigating getting it warrantied, or at least some help.

I do think a D44 is in my future, though.

-----Matt-----

Bummer. If I had to do it again, I'd go straight to 60. Not that much more $ than a built 44. But I guess it depends on the size tires you want to run. But that's a whole seperate thread topic.

But back to this thread. Another trip I regret not making. Looks like you guys had fun.

hards91xj
January 29th, 2007, 21:34
Yep looks like a good one that I missed...

GreenbeltXJ
January 29th, 2007, 22:15
hards91xj has 666 posts as of rite now.

Kilted XJer
January 30th, 2007, 01:26
Thanks to all you guys for making my first run with NAXJA fun and educational. It was nice to finally meet you guys and I look forward to going on many more runs in the future.

-Jeff

XJCasper
January 30th, 2007, 02:18
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/XJCasper/12807Snow14-1.jpg

Kilted XJer
January 30th, 2007, 02:49
Most of my pics were blurry... Here's a few that turned out:

Me trying to pull out Jason after he blew a bead
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/TinkamRunJan282007034.jpg
Nice scenery
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/TinkamRunJan282007057.jpg
Group shot
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/TinkamRunJan282007060.jpg
John sunk in his RF tire
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/TinkamRunJan282007065.jpg
Ian and Aaron pulling the RF axle shaft out of Aaron's YJ
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/TinkamRunJan282007056.jpg
Video of John pulling Aaron out of the ditch where Aaron broke his axle
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/xjnana/?action=view&current=TinkamRunJan282007075.flv

Thanks again for the awesome snow run guys!

-Jeff

adamusmc2002
January 30th, 2007, 10:43
Hey Matt, what'd you do to your front axle? I wish I would have gone on this trip, I had almost given up on snow runs; haven't been much fun to date, for me at least. Looks like you guys proved me wrong, when i wasn' there! :(