• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap electric fan alternative

unrealtrip

NAXJA Forum User
My electric fan had seen its last day. The motor had completely given up the ghost and it was time for a replacement. I had several options such as going to a salvage yard and pulling Ford Taurus fans or tracking down a newer model Cherokee with the better fan blade design. Alas, I just don't have the time nor desire to spend a day rooting through salvage yards so I was looking for a new fan. Of course, there is a very broad range of new universal electrics out there, ranging from as little as $10 all the way up to $250 for a single fan!

Considering the fact that the fan isn't on all the time and that I really just needed to have it knock out about 1000 CFM I didn't need a super high powered expensive cooling fan. With a quick search on eBay I discovered a seller GR8HOTRODS who had some 10" fans putting out 1250CFM at a buy it now price of only $16 with $11 shipping. So for $27 I landed myself a new Procomp 2051 10" universal fit fan that had a nice low 8 Amp draw.

Now, since it is a universal fan, mounting it would prove to be a challenge, however I quickly discovered that it was just about the right size to fit inside the old fan housing. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the process that I took when using my dremel to clean up the inside of the old fan housing thanks for a camera failure, but I think you'll get the idea just by looking at the pictures of the completed setup and your own fan once you get it out.

The nice thing about using the original housing was that solved the issue of cleanly mounting the fan inside the Jeep and mounting the fan itself inside the old housing was simple enough with some 50lb zip ties.

fan_stock_shroud.jpg

As you can see in this picture, I cut the plug off of the old destroyed fan and used a pair of crimped on connectors to hook it up to the red/black wires coming out of the new fan. Because the fan is now mounted backwards in a sense, you can see that I've switched the hot/ground, the black wire on the left now connects to the yellow wire on the original harness. Since these electric fans are driven simply by basic DC motors, you can just swap the polarity to switch the fan from push to pull mode.

With the wires switched like this, the fan is setup to pull air through the radiator.

fan_xor.jpg

With a few simple holes drilled into the old chasis I attached the new fan with some 50lb zip ties.

zip_mount.jpg

I've had the fan in for a while now and it works perfectly, within moments of clicking on it cools the engine down enough that it can shut right off and during those times when it has to work hard (A/C, idlign for along time, etc) it seems to do just fine running constantly.

Cheap, quiet and powerful- not sure what else I could ask for. For less than $30 and it mounted right up with my old factory housing, can't beat it.

Hehe, maybe I should do that. My xj came without the electric fan on it when I bought the thing, has never overheated or even come close to it, but I'm sure they put it there for a reason so I should look into getting one of those myself.

Adam96 said:
Hehe, maybe I should do that. My xj came without the electric fan on it when I bought the thing, has never overheated or even come close to it, but I'm sure they put it there for a reason so I should look into getting one of those myself.

Basically the clutch fan isn't capable of cooling the engine on its own and at about 220deg F, it turns on the electric until it brings it back down to 210. It also comes on if you hit your A/C or your defroster. But if you aren't overheating fuhgheddabout it :)

I must admit though that the 8 blade stock AC fan I have pulls a lot of air for such a small fan. With testing the pull in front of the grille it is not a whole different to my 16" 2500 CFM main one. I think it would pull close to 2000 CFM seeing there is so little difference?

Adam96 said:

Do you have air conditioning? XJ's that have aircon also had the aux fan - I think that was the option that controlled that. Do you have an idler pully up where the aircon compressor normally would be?

5-90

Back