• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting down on in cab heat

unrealtrip

NAXJA Forum User
I just whipped up a cat heatshield and will be making another for my muffler. The reason I did this was that with my carpet out in preparation for spraying in Durabak, I discovered the floorboards get so hot over the cat and muffler you cannot hold your hand to them.

I have ordered some of that ceramic bead paint additive to put in the Durabak to give it some insulating properties, but I don't think it will be sufficient to deal with the level of heat coming from that part of the floor. Also bedliners have a boiling point of ~135-140deg F which explains why some guys have smelled it on really hot days/runs.

Anyway, here you go, nothing fancy, but I documented the process in case anyone else is interested or may do it as well. Super easy to do.

Full write up here:
http://secretreality.com/jeep/xj/tech/heat-shields.htm

06-finished01.jpg

Nice job, I actually have never noticed that.. Then again, probably because I never sit in my backseat!
But I have the stock heatshield above the muffler, and I'm still carpeted, but I always have things in my backseat floor like games or my camera or stuff.

Alademuerte said:
Nice job, I actually have never noticed that.. Then again, probably because I never sit in my backseat!
But I have the stock heatshield above the muffler, and I'm still carpeted, but I always have things in my backseat floor like games or my camera or stuff.

Yeah I later discovered that 96+ XJ's got a heat shield from the factory over the muffler, not sure about the cat.

I should have used a thermometer to measure but the hand test was good enough. After 15min of driving the floor over the cat used to be so hot you couldn't hold your hand to it, now it isn't even warm. :D

ponyracer1 said:
I've heard of people using an airbake cookie sheet. Sounds hokie but if you think about it they make sense.
lol, that was the first thing I thought of, but since they have a hollow core, you can't really cut them or you'll expose the inside. It does make sense though :)

I was thinking they had a solid part on the ends, think for lifting. One could drill through there for sure. I read they insulate very well, work great for cookies to!!

Back