• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another chop top question

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched, yes I looked at all 145 pages of XJDB.com.

Question is, has anyone reused the hatch after they cut the roof after the
C-pillar? I'm not talking so it will open, just so it has a similar line to stock, without the totally vertical MJ cab/window swap that everyone does. I'm going to angle the hatch back a little then fill in the hole that it leaves at the bottom with sheet metal. Has anyone done this? Any pics? Any problems?

Thanks

It sure would be easy enough to do. I have looked at it for when I flop my XJ on its lid.

I am wondering if all hatches are fiberglass?

Brad

97+ are metal not fiberglass.

WEll there u go, find a bumped metal hatch, cut out the inner structure, and weld in you new upper cab back. I think then you could chop the inside out of an onl 90'3 Mitsu pick up bed (inner and outer skins and nice tie downs) and use that to finish the bed area complete with the floor. That would be nice!

I cant wait till I tip my Jeep over...NO I didnt mean that...crap to late im doomed.:skull1:

Thanks gordy, this is the look I'm after. Except mine will have a shelf that extends from under the window to the back of the rear seat then down to the floor.

poser4.jpg

Looking at doing a cage similar to this one:

lifts4_4.jpg

Pony send us some more pics of the one with the cage! I like the looks of that one, it is not a case of beer before cutting looking project.

Very nicley done and enginered.

Quacked said:
Pony send us some more pics of the one with the cage! I like the looks of that one, it is not a case of beer before cutting looking project.

Very nicley done and enginered.

HAHA I wish I had some more, thats the only one and I've had it so long I can't remember where I got it. Ya I like it alot, The only diff is I've got a partial exo with roof sliders so instead of the cage being just in the back mines gonna go over the roof also. I was also thinking of lowering the spare down a bit to, I could care less about being able to see out the rear window.

Back