• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to mount a stereo amplifier?

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend suprised me with a sweet stereo system for Xmas. She loves my Jeep but it "only it lacks in the stereo system department."

So she went all out. I'm trying to figure out a good place to mount the amp and subwoofer.

Know that I DO go off road and DO ford deep streams. Hell, I pretty much ramble all over Colorado.

Thanks in advance.

I've got my amp under the passengers seat. I mounted it on some wood so that in order to get it out you have to unbolt the bolts at the back of the seat. I run with no doors in the summer so that's why I did that.

The only other place I've seen amps mounted where they're out of sight is under the back seat.

Hands down the best place for the sub is in a custom box for the passenger rear quarter area. Crutchfield has them but they're a bit spendy.

riverfever said:
I've got my amp under the passengers seat. I mounted it on some wood so that in order to get it out you have to unbolt the bolts at the back of the seat. I run with no doors in the summer so that's why I did that. The only other place I've seen amps mounted where they're out of sight is under the back seat.
I was thinking under the back seat. But I don't want something to spill while offroading and get it all oily, wet, or something. She'd kill me. I like th front seat, but I'm worried about my drink spilling and getting it wet. Essentially, I want to take good care of it as she did put a lot of thought into it.

riverfever said:
Hands down the best place for the sub is in a custom box for the passenger rear quarter area. Crutchfield has them but they're a bit spendy.
She got me the box. It's missing a decent grill. Some Honda looking piece of plastic crap. I'm looking for a nice and strong square grill. Something strong enough if a heavy piece of camera gear rolled onto it it'd be OK. Less worried about my gear as it's insured.

amp.jpg

Mine didn't fit under the seat so I had to remove it.:roflmao:

pabloconrad said:
My girlfriend suprised me with a sweet stereo system for Xmas. She loves my Jeep but it "only it lacks in the stereo system department."

So she went all out. I'm trying to figure out a good place to mount the amp and subwoofer.
She's a keeper! :)

I mounted my amp under the rear seat.

Look right under the fire extinguisher. This pic was a while ago, but I still have the amp there and it stays cool and really has never got in the way.
:)

Recovery.jpg

id mount it high and in the rear like the above posted picture where the spare tire goes assuming you have a fullsize tire carrier in the rear or on the roof.

I would put the sub on the passengers side in the rear (i havent built mine yet i just went and got the mdf a couple days ago for my customer fiberglass enclosure.)

Maybe mount the amp on a hinge you could flip up out of the way when you go deep water, and leave the sub in your tent or back home when you go extreme.

ive had both my amps (subs and highs) mounted under the rear seats for almost seven years with no problems at all. Its convenient to get to, but out of the way enough, wires are hidden and most importantly....if you need the cargo room it involves unhooking a speaker wire and removing your sub box and thats it, leave the amp and everything is fine! If you need pics, or any help let me know!
(Side note....run your RCA cables on your passenger side, and your power wire down your drivers side to avoid any noise entering your system)

StylerG said:
ive had both my amps (subs and highs) mounted under the rear seats for almost seven years with no problems at all. Its convenient to get to, but out of the way enough, wires are hidden and most importantly....if you need the cargo room it involves unhooking a speaker wire and removing your sub box and thats it, leave the amp and everything is fine! If you need pics, or any help let me know!

Thanks. I was planning on putting them there.

StylerG said:
(Side note....run your RCA cables on your passenger side, and your power wire down your drivers side to avoid any noise entering your system)

Thanks for the tip. She spent good money on the system and it would suck if I couldn't get the sound right due to something simple like that.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I put my amp on the passanger side floor behind the front seat. I have a 2 door, and no rear seat, so no one sits in the back. I too run with no doors a lot of the time, so hidding it was needed. I simply tucked it under the seat as much as possible, and then put the floor mat over it.
For the sub I put in a homemade box like riverfever suggested. I cut out that cubby thing, and recovered the hole with some sort of cloth. It isnt exactly the same color as the inside, but its fairly close. Now, my entire system cost me $30, so Im not to worried about it getting stolen, and how good it sounds. Luckly no one really know about it and its farily hard to see. Ill take some pics if you want.

100_1761.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1760.jpg

One Arm Steve said:
I like the spare mount, pretty slick.
Only problem I see with that is where do you put your tools and spare parts? :gag:

Ghost said:
Only problem I see with that is where do you put your tools and spare parts? :gag:

Tools and spare parts fit under the tire mount. I usually fold the back seat down for long trips.

Jeep914x4 said:
What size tire will fit back there?

I run 33's, but I made the mount to fit a 35 inch spare and still close the hatch.

Back