• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ 4L stalls when I turn left ???

XJTony

NAXJA Forum User
ANy one else have this issue ...when I make left hand turns ...from lights or on ramps ...the jeep sputters ..some time stalls....and it will not start again til placed in park .....Im sure its the fuel pump ...but I thought I would check see if its a plugged filter ...or something simple ..where I dont have to replace the 400 dollar fuel pump ....Thanks...

XJTony said:
ANy one else have this issue ...when I make left hand turns ...from lights or on ramps ...the jeep sputters ..some time stalls....and it will not start again til placed in park .....Im sure its the fuel pump ...but I thought I would check see if its a plugged filter ...or something simple ..

The good news: it may be the fuel filter.

where I dont have to replace the 400 dollar fuel pump ....Thanks...

The bad news: the filter and pump are one unit on '97-up XJs. However, I just checked Kragen's website and a new pump runs $99-$250. You can also get the filter elements separately for under $10.

I had this happening to me and it was a wire that was grounding on hard turns or going on an incline. Found the shorting wire and fixed the problem.

How much gas do you have in your tank?

Common issue on the 97+'s....1/4 tank or less and stalling tends to occur during left turns. I have this issue with mine, and its well known around here.

Oh yea mine does this.

I even took it to the dealer and paid them 50 bucks to tell me nothing is wrong with it.

They even drove it around A LOT and couldn't reproduce the stumbling/stalling I'm getting.

I think its the fuel filter. I'm VERY tempted to take off the in tank filters and install a conventional in line filter along the frame rail of my XJ.

yeah ...1/4 tank is when it starts happening .....I can rule out the grounding of a wire ....doesnt happen over half a tank .....a friend has a 2000 Xj classic ...his does the same thing ..but only start happening around 150K .....I checked with the dealer no filters or parts to service the fuel pump ...on the 97 and up Jeeps .....the dealer wants 500 bucks for OEM ...parts stores want 250 plus ...Im in Canada so ..everything is 300 percent higher priced than the States ....

its just a real pain in the ass to only be able to use 3/4 of your fuel capacity ....plus wondering when the pump is goin to quit ...I think I will just replace it ....really dumb ass problem ...

Back