• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP TRANSFER CASE SLIPPING IN 2WD

scottkarduck

NAXJA Forum User
96 xj 4.0 auto np231

The jeep drives perfectly normally unless I try to accelerate quickly, then it makes a clunking sound from the transfer case. It is almost exactly like a stretched chain, but it does it in 2wd. It does not do it in 4 high or low. It is not the rear yoke. I pulled the rear drive shaft to grease the slip yoke, but it was well lubed and slid freely. My first thought was that the slip yoke or output shaft had stripped splines, but both looked perfect. I am not too familiar with the internal workings of this transfer case, what else could be slipping to cause this?

i also checked the motor mounts and trans mount and they are all fine

i just played with the linkage and it did not change anything. i also held the 4wd shifter in different positions in 2wd and it did not change.

what do you mean by 4x torque converter bolts? the bolts that hols the converter to the fly wheel?

Back