• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lunchbox locker in the rear...horrible noises

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody...well some of you may have seen my cherokee that i posted up the other day, but i recently bought a aussie for the dana 30 front, and cant wait to put it in, but planned on eventually locking out the rear also. one of my friends just bought a cherokee, with 3 inches of lift, and 31 inch ATs. the jeep looked in really good condition, and had all kinds of additions to be "done right", such as long arms, SYE, tom woods driveshaft, brakelines, revolver shackles, and when he bought it, it looked like it never went offroading before. but i rode with him down the road the other day, and coming out of slow tight turns, it popped, and maybe even jerked some, even going straight it still popped for a while. is that normal, and how loud is it supposed to be, because even with the radio on, it was still clear:wierd:

Were it mine, I think I would invest in a phone call to Aussie--the owner himself called me back when I had a question. A slight "clicking" when turning is normal, but it sounds like your buddies has an issue. I've only run luchbox lockers in autos, so it might be more pronounced in a standard.

I am running lunchboxes on both ends and it is a loud popping machine! Nature of the beast...I am running Powertrax lockers though, not Aussies.

Well, the OP never did say which locker his friend has. If you re-read, he is talking about two different Jeeps.

Tell your friend to check the tire pressure. It has to be the same L<->R. And check the gear oil level.

Well it could be a No-Slip or a Loc-Rite. The No-Slip is supposed to be much more "friendly" on road then the Loc-Rite so if its a No-slip and its popping and stuff it might be a little messed up.

-Andrew

wishihad1 said:
he doesn't have an aussie..i was the one getting an aussue for the front of mine. he has a chrystler 8,25, so i think hes got the lock-rite

Ah, I was confused. I ran a Lock-rite in the rear of my FSB for a couple years before swapping to a 9" w/full Detroit. The Lock-rite would click through turns sometime, but I don't recall ever getting any loud pops or really scary noises. With the 425 stroker in it, it would squawk the 35s just dropping it into gear with either locker unless you had the break pedal nailed to the floor. This is with a C6 auto--they can be more harsh with a standard. Personally, I am going with ARBs front and rear in the XJ.

I have found that the type of lube can have an effect on how noisy the locker is...I have had best luck with standard petroluem lube.

There is also a learning curve to how to drive a locker.

I have powertrax no-slips front and rear, and if i turn real slow, and have the window down i can just hear them. and every once in a while i can feel one of them either catch or release as i turn a corner as i either get on or off the skinny peddle. ON the other hand, reichy is here in salina, and he runs a lockright in the rear and a aussie up front, and you can hear him from half a block away turning corners. He has his installed correctly and they work like they are suppost to, they are just alot louder.

I would say if you are going to buy a used locker though(and there is nothing wrong with that, i bought 2 of them) double check all the gears in them before buying them to make sure that they are still sharp and square, and when you install them, double check all the springs, and if needed contact the manufacture and buy some new springs. Springs are cheap, and pretty much what saves the life of the locker.

Hard lockers in the rear and revolvers can do strange things sometimes too. The inner wheel will start to unload the revolver as it scrubs around corners, and you can be getting some loud noises from there.

But what you are describing does not sound normal. I will agree with some of the other posts, check the tire pressure in both tires, change the gear lube to a standard petro based 85w and see what happens.

Back