• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My New Front Winch Bumper EDIT: Now with pics

GreaseCycles

NAXJA Forum User
My New Homemade Front Winch Bumper EDIT: Now with pics

Hey to all, I have been a member for a while but this is my first real post. So bear with me.

I have decided to finally mount my old warn 8274 winch to my cherokee.
Since I am still in highschool and I can't afford one of the snazzy prebuilt (read expensive) NICE bumpers, I am having to build my own.

The main arms hich are 26" end to end are 1/4 * 6 inch flat stock, as is the main portion of the front of the bumper where the winch actually mounts.

The crossmember running perpendicular to the arms is also 1/4*6. I have a total of 52.00 in this plus my time, which right now I have almost 7 1/2 hours in it!

Pight now it will be held to the jeep with 8 bolts per side. Do yall think this will be enough? The driver side will use the steering box bolts plus another 5. This is counting the thin sheet metal holes at the front of the truck to which the stock bumper was hanging from. Yall reckon that this will be strong enough.

I know that this thread is useless without pics but they will be up for the nights out so bare with me.
EDIT Pics Below!

The only thing right now that I don't totally like is how far it sticks out from the front of my truck. But with the warn 8274 it is kinda hard to snug it up too tight without cutting the grill, which is already slam full of Power steering coolers, condensors, and my aux. tranny cooler. So it really was not much of an option, plus I did not want to cut, so I guess I will live with it

Anyways Yall tell me what yall think and if you think that I need to change anything.

Last edited:
Re: My New Front Winch Bumper

dc15.jpg

1fa6.jpg

20c5.jpg

9e57.jpg
http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/a.dkYhuA.QY4/__tn_/9e57.jpg?phYr0lFB94tAEqOe

Re: My New Front Winch Bumper

Well like I said it is not totally done, I still need to over steel the end caps and add some more reniforcement to them, and I prolly need to and some corner bracing to the winch box as well.

1fa6.jpg

I understand that the winch is held to the mount with only four bolts, But I was reffering to the number of blots that hold it to our uni-body "frame rails" Since the rails are so thin I know that it would be best to try to disperse the load of more square area. I just hoped that I am going far enough back! Right now my arms go a little past the sway bar mounts on each side.

Last edited:
GreaseCycles said:
Can some ont tell me what is wrong with my pics?? They were working yesterday!
Some sites only store pics for a limited amount of time!

Sorry bout the dark photos yall, but the only time between high school and working is in the dark so I really can't help it LOL.
Below are some Pics mounted on the truck. The bar will be sanded and painted as I did not buy it new,(got to safe money when you can!), I have since added 3/16 channel structural steel between the front 1/4 in plate and the rear crossmember to keep from bending the plate or ripping it apart.
If you also see the side bumper where the single piece of 1/8 in comes out straight, it has also been reniforced. So far I am happy with it but I am sure that there will be changes to it. I mean I do not think that I did too bad a job since I am only 17, Do yall?? What would yall have done different??

Hum, the photos are coming up fine for me? Maybe you are refering to the first set of pics? I know thery are coming up red but what about all the others? Yahoo is hosting my pics.

Back