• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's or Rough Country?

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
I know that these are basically the bottom of the barrell as far as I've come to understand on here but I need a decent set of ADJ Upper&Lower control arms for my XJ and they are both in the price range I am willing to spend for now, so if you HAD to pick Rusty's or Rough Country which one would you guys end up picking as far as their control arms went?

I'm kinda leaning towards Rusty's but I'm not sure yet.

I'd go with the Rough Country. Top quality and I've never had a shipping problem with anyone I've ordered them from. I've got them on both of my XJs and installed on another friends XJ. They can take plenty of abuse and not show it.

I run the Rough Country Adj Uppers & Lowers, beefy and built fairly solid. Very similar to the JKS ones as in they twist in the middle, and have rubber joints at the ends, but cost half as much.Rough Country makes some crap, but these are one of the best products they make for the cherokee. For $300 for upper and lower adj controls that work fine you can't go wrong.

I have a Rough Country and I'm up 4.5" with springs/lower control arms front, and an AAL/Shackle Combo Rear.

My lowers don't adjust but for what they are they seem to be good enough quality. My only gripe with their kit so far is that its pretty stiff up front for quite a while, a few trail runs took care of that though. As I understand from the previous owner, he had the kit on for a month.

rstarch345 said:
I'd go with the Rough Country. Top quality.

I'll have some of what you're smokin.....
RC is total crap. I made the mistake of running the 4.5" "kit" for my first lift. The money you save on a RC kit will be used up quickly purchasing the parts that are necessary to make a 4.5" kit work properly. (trackbar, extended brake lines, etc...) Other kits come with these parts.

I wore out a set of LCA bushings after 2 trips out, and smoked a set of rear springs after 6 months.

I spent twice amount of a quality kit trying to chase down the problems with the RC parts, replacing them 1 by 1. I learned the hard way.

Save your money (and frustration) and get a real kit first. (Rubicon...etc...).

:(

Well i know Im pretty new here. But I have heard that rustys springs are pretty darn good, i know that they are not made at rustys but they are made only for rustys. I will be buying a 6.5 prerunner type spring with a 12-13 leaf pack. But I do have there front tie rod conversion w/ the wheel to wheel tie rod and so far so good. I also like the rustys stablizer.

saki669 said:
I'll have some of what you're smokin.....
RC is total crap. I made the mistake of running the 4.5" "kit" for my first lift. The money you save on a RC kit will be used up quickly purchasing the parts that are necessary to make a 4.5" kit work properly. (trackbar, extended brake lines, etc...) Other kits come with these parts.

I wore out a set of LCA bushings after 2 trips out, and smoked a set of rear springs after 6 months.

I spent twice amount of a quality kit trying to chase down the problems with the RC parts, replacing them 1 by 1. I learned the hard way.

Save your money (and frustration) and get a real kit first. (Rubicon...etc...).

:(
Who said anything about a kit. The question was solely about the Control Arms and the response was about Control Arms. If you're going to beef, keep the comparison apples to apples.

A guy locally ordered a set of adj control arms from rustys and they only sent one control arm, but charged him for 2.. and they never sent out the other one and wouldnt refund him..

RE, had both Rustys and RE RE is the better value in the long run. Their coils are not from the same place and I remember Rusty years ago saying his packs were the same, but they were not near even and my RE packs were so I dunno. I do know REs control arms, hd tracbar and bracket and their kits in general are higher quality than Rustys.

I know Rubicon Express is better quality hands down BUT the point was which is better RC or Rusty's.

I ordered the arms wednesday and they got here this morning, I installed them and no more death wobble!

i havent had rustys, but i did have a Rough country....i almost sold my jeep because of it...it was that bad. Im happy with others great experiences with it, but have heard of fewer people complain about rustys. I have the RE on now, and love it.
The phrase no need to re-invent the wheel carries some of the same characteristics. No need to experiment with chance when dealing with a vehicle....my advice

Back