• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Shock Recommendation Thread...Sorry

DharmaDog

NAXJA Forum User
I know the shock question has been covered many times and I did search first, but didn't find a thread that really addressed my problem.

I have a 98 Classic with 3" Skyjacker lift and ProComp ES3000 shocks. The ride is too harsh both around town and on the highway. I want to replace the shocks though there likely isn't anything wrong with them. I am considering Doetsch 3000s, Rancho RSXs, Rancho 9000s. What I'm looking for is a significantly softer ride, but maintaining decent handling. I also would prefer not to spend the money on the Rancho 9000s. Any other recommendations?

Which shocks do you prefer for a soft ride and how do those shocks really shine? I don't get to go offroad much lately, maybe 4 times a year for a few days at a time. Mostly beach and desert.

I used to have the ES3000 shocks and I was told (when I bought them) that they were manufactured by the same company that makes the Rancho's and they are the same spec as the the Rancho 5000's.

Here is my experience. Rancho's are stiff, very stiff. The 9000's on a setting of 2 are the same as 5000's. My mother-in-laws xj rides on a rancho 3" lift with the 9000's on a setting of 1 and it is a very firm ride. Handles nice, but very firm.

For a very good quality shock and a soft ride i recommend the OME. If you want a firmer ride then go with the bilsteins.

Personally I have rusty's old shocks (not sure if he still sells them) and they are nice and soft and I like them (very cheap), but again not sure if he still has them.

I vote OME, excelent quality and soft ride.

Michael

The reason your mom's jeep rides stiff is more likely from the springs than the shocks. Rancho had very rough riding lifts. I have Dakota leaves in the rear and Rusty's coils and with rancho 9000s on one, the ride is very soft and nice. On setting three they are pretty harsh, and on setting five they are rock hard.

I had rancho 5000s on a YJ that rode like absolute crap. I replaced them with Rustys regular shocks (30 dollars each) and the ride is super "cadillac" soft. Great on road ride.

Ive heard good things about monroe reflex shocks too. Regular Gabriels offer a prett soft ride. If youdont go offroading too much, there is no point in spending the extra money for an offroad shock. Check out your local pep boys.

I settled on Rusty's older shocks. He still has them, just not listed on the site. 4 shocks for $120. Turns out that the Monroe Reflex shocks are not made for lifted applications, so I could only get a replacement for the stock shock. Rancho RSX shocks (same as the Reflex) are only listed for XJs with up to a 2" lift.

I've got Doetsch Tech 3000s on my XJ; put the first ones on almost two years ago when I did the 2" Budget Boost and I bought them again when I put the 4.5" RE lift on.

I have the RSX shocks and I like them... the ride seems to be about the same as the stock UpCountry shocks that came with my XJ, although they do seem to respond better on the trail :)

Kejtar

You don't have to have XJ specific shocks, just the correct length. You should measure extended and compressed length, and go through a parts catalog and purchase accordingly.
IIRC, stock length ZJ shocks in the front and stock length TJ shocks are a pretty good match for a 3" lift.

edlebrock IAS shocks are utterly awesome.. soft around town.. stiffen up when you're on the highway.. totally self adjusting i give em a big thumbs up..

TUFF COUNTRY shocks give an amazing road ride, and are fairly cheap. BUT, they are too darn soft offroad. My Bronco II bounces all over the place with them installed. They have only about 10,000 miles on them too. I can't say good things about their longevity either, as they lasted my bud only about 30,000 miles. At that point they were blown out and leaking. Don't get 'em.

Jared

Back