• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5150

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
just curious whats the difference between the 170/60 and the 255/70? whats better for what?

Smittty9785 said:
just curious whats the difference between the 170/60 and the 255/70? whats better for what?

Just to give you a quick awnser, it refers to the valving. 170 is the compression and 60 is the rebound. 255/70 is a stiffer valving and IMO what you want for your xj, 170/60 is just a little too soft for my taste. Search bilstein and valving and you should pull up some good info. Otherwise I'm sure some very knowledgable members can give you a more detailed awnser.

XJ858 said:
Just to give you a quick awnser, it refers to the valving. 170 is the compression and 60 is the rebound. 255/70 is a stiffer valving and IMO what you want for your xj, 170/60 is just a little too soft for my taste. Search bilstein and valving and you should pull up some good info. Otherwise I'm sure some very knowledgable members can give you a more detailed awnser.

having ridden in 3 or 4 xj's on some very rough terrain and long street hauls with the 255/75 valving...
id say its pretty damn close to ideal with a 5.5" lift with nice springs...

i was gonna be running about 6.5" in the rear and 7.5" up front. mostly trail rig now. no more street driving. so would the stiffness be as neccessary?

higher in front allowing a little room for sag. also ill be running 35 12.50 15 mickey thompson baja MTZ on allied beadlocks. cant wait

I got the stiffer valving in mine, I thought my Jeep rode decent with the old shocks, but its rides excellent with the new ones now. Now I need to get some for the back as well.

how much lift you running in front and what valving did you get? and what travel?

well im about to install the tnt LA kit and i have 7.5" springs up front trying to figure out shocks....

with the sj6" coils how much lift does that give you up front. when you order them what are the numbers? 255/70 valving and then the travel?

Smittty9785 said:
with the sj6" coils how much lift does that give you up front. when you order them what are the numbers? 255/70 valving and then the travel?

Not sure, I have a 3/4" spacer also. But also a winch bumper up front too. And trimmed fenders also. It sits maybe about a 1/2" taller then the RE4.5 ZJ coils I had in there before.

Yea, 255/70 valving and then whatever legnth you need. I am running 12" travel ones. Just gotta measure before ya order some.

how do you measure, sorry to ask just not sure? thanks for your help-Matt

as they all coem in the eye hoops where do you pick up the kits?

Tell them that you want stud tops on your front shocks.

Run the loop conversions and you'll lose an inch or two of uptravel. It'll cost about $15-$20 to have them put a stud onto each shock for you, but JKS Manufacturing wants about that much for their loop conversions.

Last edited:
no extra chrage i presume?? just in case you know where to get the adapter?

Just go the hardware store and find some 12mm X 1mm nuts and some 2.5" long 3/8" bolts and weld them together. The top boss on the 5150's is 12mm X 1mm and 3/8" is the standard stud diameter so all bushings and nuts should fit from your old shocks if the top bushings are still in good shape. If not you can pick them up from summit or any race shop. This is what I did on my 12" 5150's to gain as much uptravel as possible.

Back