• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Wiper Sizes?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
What wiper size is everyone running on their XJ? I know stock is 18 inchs.....you can fit a 19 inch, I know that, because that's what I'm running. There's less then a half inch gap between the top of the windshield gasket and the tip of the wiper, so I think a 20 would hit the gasket.

Unless for some reason the 20 inch wiper is shorter.....I don't see that happening though.

Has anyone tried using a 20 inch wiper in the front of a pre-97 XJ? What was the result? I'd rather find out here.
What's everyone running?

BTW I'm running a 13 incher on the back, I know that is FOR SURE the largest that will fit.
95 XJ, with the "pin" type wiper arms....I don't know if that matters.

I'm bored, so I thought I'd ask this question to all of ya!

I am just running the stock length 18's ....I never really put much more thought to it!!

When using the pin style mounts like the XJ has, the pin hole on the wiper is usuall not at the midpoint of the wiper. A longer wiper might fit if you install them with the longer end towards the botton of the winshield. I use the 13 on the back as well because I don't like the plastic style that all the 12" wipers seem to be. The 13" wiper works great if you put the slightly longer end towards the bottom. I haven't played with the fronts, running 16" right now because I needed wipers really bad and the store was out of 18's

Chris W

so what exactly are the benefits of going to a 19 or possibly even a 20" blade???

is it worth the extra couple bucks per blade, or would it be better to go with a couple sizes smaller to loose some weight on the rig and gain some improved mpg??? LOL sorry. just poking some friendly fun.

A buddy runs 19s but has to put them on up side down so they don't hit the windsheild gasket. So you are doing better than he is.

You have to be careful with 19" blades as to how close they come to the windshield post on the left and right sides. I ran them once and changed back.
What would happen is that they came so close to the pillar that when it snowed the wiper would pile up snow against the pillar and that would cause the blade to start missing spots on the "down" stroke and of course thos spots were in the drivers wiper path. Changed back, just wasn't worth aggrevation.

I run the 17" on mine cause the linkage needs to be replaced so it doesn't hit the edge of the window.
Pull the little tab up on the back side of the pin and they just slide right off the pin. Push the new ones on till they snap/

I run the stock sized 18" wipers on the front. However, I only use the Bosch Icons there. True, they are expensive ($19/ea) but I have had mine through two summers and two ice storm filled winters. They don't use the standard six or eight contact point metal frame, rather a spring metal piece inside a sculpted "plastic" shell - so no joints to freeze up, etc. Because of thier shape, they are forced onto the window at highway speeds, rather than lift. O yeah, they look a lot better, too.

On the back, I use a 13" regular blade. I rarely use it, but it works fine most of the time. No clearance issues on my 00 XJ.

Im running 18"s on the front of my 01 but whats wierd is that they go off the windshield on the drivers side and when they go back down they slap on the hood, anybody know what i have to do to fix this?

Back