• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky Road Outfitter's 3" BB install

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got my 3" BB from Rocky Road today and so far I am very pleased with it. Everything was much higher grade than I expected so I'll have to wait and see how it comes out. I will be installing it on Sunday and I will hopefully be putting up the install of it.

Here's what comes in the kit:
2 x 1" Poly coil spacers
2 x 2" Poly coil spacers
2 x 1.5" solid steel lift blocks
2 x 3" (longer) heavy duty shackels (1.5" of lift)
$150

Extras:
4 x Heavy Duty U-bolts
$44

Here's some pictures of whats in the kit...
DCP_0839.jpg

The HD shackels:
DCP_0840.jpg

The coil spacers:
DCP_0841.jpg

The lift blocks:
DCP_0842.jpg

Ubolts and instructions:
DCP_0843.jpg

everything is from Rocky Road Outfitters...

Great kit, I got the 2" version but the zerk on one of the shackles fell right off! This is about the third seperate bad/wrong part experience I've had with these guys. I love their designs and prices though so I keep going back. Otherwise very burly stuff.

I hope they replaced it free of charge though?

I just installed the 2" version on my XJ. Here is my writeup....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901474

Biggest issue I had was the rear shock upper mounting bolts, broke them....read my writeup....

I also had the zerk fittings fall out of both of my shackles. I called Rocky Road and they sent me larger zerks for them. Call them, they know it is an issue.

Don't forget to get new shocks, you will need longer ones with the 3" kit.

i found this out today on jf... when you got to install your front coil spacers, take your stock isolator out, then instal your 1 and 2 inch spacers, then put your stock isolator in and then your spring. not doing so will destroy your lift spacers. good luck

also you might want to start spraying your rear shackles with pb blaster, top and bottom bolts and your u bolts. the front should be too bad but wouldnt hurt. also in the rear your exhaust might be in the way of the shackle on pass side. unbolt the exhaust clamp (more than likely to break off, might be easier just to cut it off since they are like 2 bucks at autozone) so that you can move the exhaust.

Last edited:
sjbond67 said:
i found this out today on jf... when you got to install your front coil spacers, take your stock isolator out, then instal your 1 and 2 inch spacers, then put your stock isolator in and then your spring. not doing so will destroy your lift spacers. good luck

also you might want to start spraying your rear shackles with pb blaster, top and bottom bolts and your u bolts. the front should be too bad but wouldnt hurt. also in the rear your exhaust might be in the way of the shackle on pass side. unbolt the exhaust clamp (more than likely to break off, might be easier just to cut it off since they are like 2 bucks at autozone) so that you can move the exhaust.

well thanks for the info on the isolator...

I started PBing the mofo like 3 days ago, haha...

and I know my exhaust is going to be an issue because dynomax is a bunch of retards and thought it would be cool to have the tip come out cocked a little to the side... so it sits practically just below the shackle.

I think I'm just going to take a torch to it and bend it out of the way.

Oh and about the longer shocks I have Old Man Emu's which are designed for the XJ w/ up to 3" of lift. I think the next shocks I might get might be the longer OMEs but for now these ones should work...

Here's the after pics...

DCP_0856.jpg

DCP_0854.jpg

DCP_0853.jpg

DCP_0857.jpg

DCP_0858.jpg

DCP_0859.jpg

DCP_0860.jpg

I have yet to get some action shots because I still need to extend my front brake lines, get an extended rear brake line, and finish the transfer case drop. still waiting on figuring out the best solution to get a really stubborn stud out.... and it doesnt help that i jammed the hell out of my finger today in my lacrosse game. F*ck.

AlohaBra said:
Looks great...what size are those tires in the pictures??

BFG A/T KO 30"x9.5"R15

Back