• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 tranny

No, because it won't go to 6350. Figure on a 5k redline.. and that's mainly why my AW4 was removed from behind my nitrous'd 401.
Tip of the hat to anyone that can overcome the rpm issue! (hint, hint)

What are you planning on running on it?

What is the redline of an AW4, you gotta figure in 3rd gear when its 1:1 in a stock jeep you could hit the limiter, idk say 5000rpm. There'd gotta be a redline for it, then again i doubt people can get up there.

You're overthinking it. It's REDLINE, not a speed limiter. First gear runs out to what? Redline, 5K, trans induced, and now you're in second. Who cares if you want to rev to 6400, it won't let you.

JJacobs said:
You're overthinking it. It's REDLINE, not a speed limiter. First gear runs out to what? Redline, 5K, trans induced, and now you're in second. Who cares if you want to rev to 6400, it won't let you.

I think he wants to rev higher. If its a pre-1997 (ie not ODBII), you could splice one of those electronic speedo correctors inline with the rear output speed sensor to scale the pulse rate to 6500/5000. If ODBII, you'd need to scale both the input and output to avoid throwing a code. Or you go manumatic and shift it yourself.

I have heard it's good for 4/500hp in a relatively light vehicle.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

http://interpret.co.za/html/art/toyota_modified_valve_body.php

I have also always been under the impression that internally it it the same as the A341E used in the Twin Turbo Toyota Supras of the 1993-02 vintage stock they're pushing 300hp, and easily modifiable to 500hp.

Realisticly I don't think you'll find an adapter to mate a 401ci to the AW4. Unless you have something costom made.

yeah,they bolt up. I remember that from my cj7 days. aw4 has the same bell housing pattern as the 258 did,which also had the same pattern as most amc v8's that I know of. that's why it was so easy to have v8 power if you drove a cj7 with a 6 cylinder. Don't ask me how I know!! cj7 with a warmed up 360= scary fun!! would have been better if it was a 401,but none were available at the time:)

scoobyxj said:
I have heard it's good for 4/500hp in a relatively light vehicle.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

http://interpret.co.za/html/art/toyota_modified_valve_body.php

I have also always been under the impression that internally it it the same as the A341E used in the Twin Turbo Toyota Supras of the 1993-02 vintage stock they're pushing 300hp, and easily modifiable to 500hp.

Realisticly I don't think you'll find an adapter to mate a 401ci to the AW4. Unless you have something costom made.

Thanks for youre knoledge.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
you can rev as high as you want with manual control

generally the Supra guys run it stock up to about 500hp, then up around 800hp with a few upgrades (IPT or Level10), then they start going to heavily modified TH400s.

Thanks. I'm planning on not only using an AW4 tranny in my XJ with an AMC V8 but I am going to try a AW4 in my 1968 American Motors REBEL. Currently with the 4.56 gears in the REBEL it revs a little high on the highway. I was going to buy the adapter from advance adapters for the 700r4, but I think that I will try this first. That is the main reason why I was concerned about how high the AW4 would allow you to rev. Currently My REBEL runs in the 12's shifting @ around 6300rpm and I wasn't sure if the AW4 could handle it. From what I've seen on this thread and from other threads it seems people think the tranny should hold up to the punishment i will put it through. Now I just need to find a 2wd AW4 or a tailshaft from a 2wd AW4. off to the parts yard I go.... Buy the way is there high stall converters availible? Or even better a trans brake set up????

As a slight comment;

It's not horsepower that breaks parts - it is torque.

While horsepower is mearly a function of torque, a discussion of what peak HP a part can hold is largely irrelevent as typically one sees peak HP at a fairly high point in the RPM range. Yet, it is the torque produced at a far lower point in the RPM range that tends to break parts. Why? When does a driveline component other than the engine break while drag racing? 95% of the time it's at launch, eh? What RPM do you launch at? Well, typically the torque peak of your motor.

Your 401 will produce considerably more torque at the RPM that you launch it at than ANY small displacement/turbo motor.

While the supra boys launch at their torque peak (or below it if they're XXXXXXs), typically once the turbos spool, this is a MUCH higher rpm than your 401. Since it is a higher RPM they are making less torque to produce the same amount of horsepower...

Was it not Carrol Shelby that said "Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars"? Ultimately he is somewhat wrong, but that's a whole different story.

However, I think the tranny is plenty strong regardless.

Like Brett said...Level Ten Performance can answer the Q's about the tranny. Brett can sell you a trick shifter set up.

A word of warning on the RPM thing....on a V-8 the limit is set by how well the motor is set up....on a 4.0, do not defeat the rev limiter....the valvetrain harmonics above 5,200 rpm will snap the timing chain....the only cure would be a gear drive....and they are no longer in production.

MudDawg said:
Like Brett said...Level Ten Performance can answer the Q's about the tranny. Brett can sell you a trick shifter set up.

A word of warning on the RPM thing....on a V-8 the limit is set by how well the motor is set up....on a 4.0, do not defeat the rev limiter....the valvetrain harmonics above 5,200 rpm will snap the timing chain....the only cure would be a gear drive....and they are no longer in production.

good advice. sounds like you learned from experience

Back