• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A moron's shock/lift dilemma

zambenini

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie here (I know I'm supposed to look at old posts before doing this, I just didn't find what I was looking for, sorry).

Anyway, I have a bone stock '00 XJ. I am looking for about 2" of lift. I heard that if I just get new/different shocks (which I was told by somebody that I need anyway) I can get enough lift just getting those. Is this true?

If this won't help me, what Budget Boosts would you guys recommend? I still can't figure out the pros & cons of the AAL v. shackle debate and I don't wanna spend a lot of cash. I do most of my offroading in a pair of hiking boots or on a mountain bike and this is my get-to-the-trailhead vehicle. Little help?

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks!
John Z.

The shocks don't provide lift.

Get a 2" bb and run some BPE's to make up some of the distance to run the shocks you have now. RRO sells them for about $45 a set (frnt and rear).

Shakles will lead to premature dearching of the leaf springs. You can run a AAL as long as it's a LONG one and not the shorty ones. That or a set of HD stock leaf packs and a 3/4-1" lift shakle.

I have never heard of new shocks alone lifting any vehicle, A 2" budget lift is about $100ish. That's 2" pucks and either an AAL or Shackles/blocks. AAL's will lift your XJ but non full length ones will wreck your springs. AAL's make your suspension a bit stiff. I have a set of rear waggy springs I want to put on the back of mine and see if there is any lift there.

Budget boost

If you stay under 2" of boost then you shouldn't need new shocks b/c some kits will include Bar Pin Extensions which make your shocks a little bit longer. I just ordered my Budget Boost and got it in the mail today. I order Rocky Road Outfitter's 3" Budget Boost but I have Old Man Emu shocks which are long enough for the kit. You should definitely check them out because everyone that I've talked to that has gotten stuff from them was very satisfied.

Their website is http://www.rocky-road.com/

and the link to the XJ budget boost page is: http://rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

and the price is quite reasonable too...

If you stay under 2" of boost then you shouldn't need new shocks b/c some kits will include Bar Pin Extensions which make your shocks a little bit longer. I just ordered my Budget Boost and got it in the mail today. I order Rocky Road Outfitter's 3" Budget Boost but I have Old Man Emu shocks which are long enough for the kit. You should definitely check them out because everyone that I've talked to that has gotten stuff from them was very satisfied.

Their website is http://www.rocky-road.com/

and the link to the XJ budget boost page is: http://rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

and the price is quite reasonable too...

X2... I happened to have longer shocks for my RRO 2" lift and it was fine. Watch out for inproperly constructed peices I've had my share with their products but keep coming back 'cause of their great prices and customer service. Has anyone else had this problem?

balloo93 said:
The shocks don't provide lift.

Sure they will, if they're long enough. ;)

Of course, then you can't stuff very well. :D

So, which is worse: premature dearching of the leaf springs from shackles or the stiffer ride quality of Add-a-leaf (I've heard the word "ruined") ????

Plus, all of the BB kits come with detailed instructions on their websites, but say that mechanics' tools may be required. I have a LOT of carpentry tools but nothing specifically for working on cars...what will I need to install it that I might not have?

Thanks for the info, everyone, by the way!

A 1/2" socket set, a nice size cresent wrench, and a big hammer should be about all you need. It would be easier with air tools and impacts and such, but not by any means neccesary. Just pull the sway bar end links, remove the lower control arms at the axle.. or body, whichever you prefer. This will generally give you enough flex to get the springs out. If not, go rent a spring compressor from the nearest auto parts place. The rear is pretty simple, just takes a little elbow grease.

Back