• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAL???

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys! my first post:patriot: . im going to get the 3.5 re lift. i was just wondering if aal really give u a much harsher ride than the full springs? the guy at re said it will give u a better ride than stock? i was planning on putting this on and then all my other stuff(bumpers, armor) then maybe putting on new leaf packs. the new leaf pack kit is just so damn expensive!! thanks guys i really appreciate it! oh and should i get a steering stabilizer and new track bar for just a 3.5??

AAL will make the pack stiff, they also tend to sag quicker because you have one leaf raising the entire pack higher.
Of course this all dpends on how sagged your current pack is, an AAL may not give the advertised height if you've got badly sagged rear springs now.

at 3.5" you can redrill the axle side trackbar mount to recenter the axle. That's what I did for my skyjacker 3" lift and it's working out well.
I'd put the money into the full leaf pack before I spent it on the track bar.

If you've got the money, go with the full packs. If not, you can buy S10 leaf packs and use the main leaf as an AAL. You just have to trim the eyes off. This is the cheap mans full spring pack. Gives great flex, great ride quality, and won't sag the springs too quickly.

I still run an AAL cause I'm lazy, and when I lifted this XJ I was in college and poor. It gets the job done. IMO, the ride is fine, no stiffer than a full pack. The only problem with the full length AALs is that they aren't full length. they end a few inches before the rear spring eye, and so the whole weight of the rear end is sometimes put on only one single spring (the main one) without any springs under it. If you look at sagged XJ springs, they are almost always arched right there. Using the S10 springs eliminates this problem.

good luck

Back